Working of Clocks and Crystals

Abhinavrajan

Joined Aug 7, 2016
Hi all,

I read the following in Wikipedia :

"When a crystal of quartz is properly cut and mounted, it can be made to distort in an electric field by applying a voltage to an electrode near or on the crystal. This property is known as electrostriction or inverse piezoelectricity. When the field is removed, the quartz generates an electric field as it returns to its previous shape, and this can generate a voltage. The result is that a quartz crystal behaves like an RLC circuit, composed of an inductor, capacitor and resistor, with a precise resonant frequency."

Can someone please explain me how this happens? From Where are we giving the voltage?
I am trying to get a visual of this process but I am unable to get it. Can someone please help by explaining the step by step process of clock generation?
Images would really help.

TIA. :)

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
The Inverter is powered from the IC's power supply.
So the voltage source for the crystal is that voltage which appears across the inverter IC.

The Rf resistor across the inverter biases it so that it acts as an amplifier.

The text in the posted circuit explains the purpose of the components C1,C2 and R1

Is this what you are asking.?

E

Abhinavrajan

Joined Aug 7, 2016
hi,
The Inverter is powered from the IC's power supply.
So the voltage source for the crystal is that voltage which appears across the inverter IC.

The Rf resistor across the inverter biases it so that it acts as an amplifier.

The text in the posted circuit explains the purpose of the components C1,C2 and R1

Is this what you are asking.?

E

Yes. Thanks. :)