Won me a meter!

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Recently, Digi-Key had a contest where the prize was a Fluke 117 meter. I forgot how many meters they were awarding, but I got one of them! Pretty nice meter....and I think it's the only thing I ever won besides a case of Coke. :)
Eric

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Sorry to hear. Any chance thy would give you a cash equivalent allowance so you can buy half a dozen assorted good meters that cover every function a guy would ever need instead? :oops:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Recently, Digi-Key had a contest where the prize was a Fluke 117 meter. I forgot how many meters they were awarding, but I got one of them! Pretty nice meter....and I think it's the only thing I ever won besides a case of Coke. :)
Eric
Congrats!!

What was the contest? Just a "enter the drawing" kind, or did you have to answer something or do something?

Enjoy the meter -- I think it's safe to say that, as is probably rather unusual, this time the prize is going to someone that can and will actually be able to use it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sorry to hear. Any chance thy would give you a cash equivalent allowance so you can buy half a dozen assorted good meters that cover every function a guy would ever need instead? :oops:
Spoil sport!! :D :D

Seriously, though, is your problem with it being Fluke (I know you have a poor opinion of where the quality has gone in general) or with the particular model (which I've never seen or know anything about)?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Congrats!!

What was the contest? Just a "enter the drawing" kind, or did you have to answer something or do something?

Enjoy the meter -- I think it's safe to say that, as is probably rather unusual, this time the prize is going to someone that can and will actually be able to use it.
It was a word jumble puzzle. The answer was "He didn't get arrays." Forgot what the clues were. :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I went to a Westinghouse training course and all I got was a primitive version of an outlet tester.:(
Still,
this time the prize is going to someone that can and will actually be able to use it.
I hope it lasts as long as my outlet tester which has been in my, "every day bucket" for 43 years...and it still works.:)

Attachments

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Spoil sport!! :D:D

Seriously, though, is your problem with it being Fluke (I know you have a poor opinion of where the quality has gone in general) or with the particular model (which I've never seen or know anything about)?
A bit of both. A quick online search shows you can get one new for $200 at Digikey

As for what it does. Well in my views the fluke 117 model (7 basic functions) http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Fluke PDFs/117.pdf
Vs a $6 Harbor freight unit (7 basic functions as well) http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html
Are not that different in capability and it rather gets its butt handed to it in practical application use by their $36 automotive diagnostics unit though. http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/diagnostics.html?p=2 :p:cool:
(I didn't know they had one of these. ):cool:

Quality wise I would expect all three to realistically last about the same in normal day to day hobby /light professional use, as in dies shortly after the warranty is up, being I regularly use my $6 'disposable' Harbor Freight meters for harsh testing when I am expecting what I am working with to have the likelihood of being able to kill a multimeter. (Surprisingly never have though.) :cool:

To be honest with $200 a guy could get himself set up with a set of good quality cheaper multimeters and have a 10+ function multimeter, a AC/DC amp clamp meter and a IR thermometer as well which would cover 99.9% or more of what a guy would ever need for hobby/general electrical and electronics work use. ;)

B&K 2703 $46 http://bkpmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/datasheets/en-us/2703C_datasheet.pdf Does everything the fluke 117 does.

B&K 312B 600 amp AC/DC amp clamp meter. $85 http://bkpmedia.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/datasheets/en-us/312B_datasheet.pdf

Cheap ass IR thermal gun eBay. $17 http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-58-102...217559?hash=item4af9e692d7:g:dDsAAOSwHaBWjI4e
(I have this one and it's awesome.) :p

Fluke equivalents to do all that would set you back around $1000. :(

BTW a basic multimeter and an independent AC/DC amp/voltmeter are my most often used together meter units for diagnostics and troubleshooting work. ;)

That's my thoughts.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Bah Ha ha ha! Loved the fanboy review! Everything that a typical electrical/electronincs technician would cuss a cheapo meter out for he finds to be a brilliant new design adtion to fluke. :D

"Amazingly well designed for a made in China fluke! It uses a 4069 chip that went into production 35+ years ago too! "

And don't say it's crap because it doesn't have any low range basic function either or because it has a cheap snappy plastic feel to the range dial either or that it has all around poor button layout either!

And whoo hoo It also has a super useful 3K line impedance that reduces ghost voltage readings too!

(Watch the video he says it not me.)

Wow! Heck of a deal for $200+ too! Damn near a basic competitor for a common no name $15 meter that can be found in almost any auto parts bargain bin. :D:rolleyes:

Seriously I like the guys reviews (I've watched most of them) but this one really came off as pulling this one out of his butt to make a basic poorly designed grossly overpriced meter sound like a real major work of engineering being most every detail he touches on that's so great of design by fluke is the very things that get the cheapo meters scoffed at because it's the very stuff that makes them look and feel cheap and the few "new features that fluke has now introduced" have been standard on most every but the cheapest of multimeters for the last 5 - 10 years now. :(

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So your opinion of what makes the new flukes so much better than everything else has not gained a new level of defensive ammo to work with I take it? :confused:o_O

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So your opinion of what makes the new flukes so much better than everything else has not gained a new level of defensive ammo to work with I take it? :confused:o_O
Where did I say that I think the new Flukes are better than anything else?

Did I not, in this very thread, specifically say that I have never seen or heard anything about this particular model to begin with?

In fact, where did I ever say anything, one way or the other, regarding my opinion of the quality of recent Flukes at all? The newest Fluke I have had anything to do with is probably a good 25 years old. I've lamented reports from folks like you that their quality has gone in the toilet but have never doubted the veracity of any of those reports.