Won me a meter!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
fluke Vs Chinese meters eff up #2.

Build your own fluke 114 for $15 kit to prevent a more functional Chinese brand and model form coming into the US. fluke claims it was due to the meter color infringement issue. (Yea right. )

Just speculation but my guess is that the $15 Chinese multifunction meter kit had the same internal components as one or more of their high-end models are built around and they didn't want a bunch of electronics enthusiasts to see that. :oops::eek:

After watching the video and comparing the who has what and how it looks like of other manufactures certain models (just happens to go both ways) that just happen to have near identical layouts a person does stop and think a bit. :rolleyes:

BTW Fluke is owned by Danaher Corp who also owns or did own Tektronix, Beckman Coulter, Apex Tool Group as well who all have had multimeters as one of their product lines at some time. Many of which had models that looks suspiciously like flukes models but with either more or less functions or less price or both which more than likely came out of one or more of their many China based manufacturing facilities that also makes the generic brand multimeters and related gear. :rolleyes:

Yep definitely a plausible explanation for why today's fluke quality is not the same as theirs from 30+ years ago.:(

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
She was a purchasing agent, and a spif(f) is something distributors and reps give away to purchasing agents that create that warm fuzzy feeling.
Ah. Makes sense now. My dad was a purchasing agent for the company he worked for and also go small things. They didn't have a name other than "gifts". The usual was a fifth of scotch or brandy during the holidays. My dad wasn't a drinker so at one point we have over a dozen bottles of good hootch just sitting there. He finally got around to giving it all away.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Ah. Makes sense now. My dad was a purchasing agent for the company he worked for and also go small things. They didn't have a name other than "gifts". The usual was a fifth of scotch or brandy during the holidays. My dad wasn't a drinker so at one point we have over a dozen bottles of good hootch just sitting there. He finally got around to giving it all away.
I first heard the term when I went to my first trade show and there were giveaway items at some of the large booths.