Wiring Up Power Supply to 64 1 watt LED

the kidson

Joined May 15, 2011
Hi all...i am currently building a 64 1 watt led array..i will be running the lights off a 12v DC source....I figured to operate all the leds i will need roughly a 80 watt supply...correct?..now since i never had to use a power supply before..i was wondering if someone could recommend a reliable 80 watt supply for use with 12v DC..as always thanks for your time.....the kid

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
An old computer PSU could be a good choice. But I think you need to provide more details on your plans - especially the LED specs - for folks here to make better suggestions. Don't forget about heat dissipation.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An LED does not use 12V, it uses about 2V to 4V depending on its colour. So you can connect 2 or 3 LEDs in series and in series with a current-limiting device then the total power at 12V is much less.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You need to provide more documentation on your LEDs.
Having the datasheet(s) available would be ideal, along with the part number(s) of your particular LEDs.

You say "a 12v DC source".
Does that mean you are planning on operating it from a 12v DC source that you already have?
Or do you mean that you want to start with a 12V 80W supply that can be powered from the mains?

If you already have a 12v source, is it regulated at 12v exactly? Or is it something like a battery with a charger, where the voltage might vary anywhere from below 12v to over 14v?

Long_p1

Joined Nov 2, 2011
An LED does not use 12V, it uses about 2V to 4V depending on its colour. So you can connect 2 or 3 LEDs in series and in series with a current-limiting device then the total power at 12V is much less.
Sorry for the sort of hijack but did you mean "in series and in then in parallel"?? I'm a newbie and still learning the ropes

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sorry for the sort of hijack but did you mean "in series and in then in parallel"?? I'm a newbie and still learning the ropes
That wasn't a hijack; it was a request for clarification of a statement.

Depending on the Vf (forward voltage) of the LEDs at their rated current and the voltage supply, you may be able to operate several in series, along with something to regulate the current, to make a series string.

Then you can also run more of these series strings in parallel; as long as you are within the power supply capacity.

You should stay below 80% of the power supply capacity. It is not good to operate near or at 100% capacity.