Wiring Plan/Guidance for LED Light strips in Truck

TPA-MX

Joined Jan 15, 2019
Hi, Guys

First time post, just found this forum. It looks amazing and there seems to be experts here that I hope can help me with my project.

I purchased an LED Light strip kit from Amazon and I would like to install then under the dash and under the driver/passenger seats so ideally they will:
  1. The lights come on when the doors are opened and turn off when the doors are shut.
  2. When the ignition is turned on, the lights would come on and remain on until the ignition is turned off.
Ideally, if I open my doors, the lights would come on, when the door is closed they would go off. If I turn on the ignition, the LEDs would come back on and stay on. When the ignition is turned off, the light would go off. When the door is opened, the lights would come back on and when shut, they go off.

I am not an electrical engineer so I could use some guidance. Naturally, I can wire the kit to the car so that when the car is turned on, they come on (Ignition trigger, this is the easy one). I am just not sure how to add another option to work with the car door.

Thanks in advance!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Welcome to the forum. I had some defrosting mirrors I wanted to install on my car. I have wired this type of thing before so technically it would not be difficult for me to do. After looking at the problem, I drove around the corner and paid the local shop $80 to wire them up. They do it every day. It was money well spent.

TPA-MX

Joined Jan 15, 2019
Thanks Spinnaker! What type of shop did you take it to?

I was thinking I could wire up the lights first to the ignition trigger. Ground to frame, red to the ignition fuse. Then could I splice in another red wired to the doom light fuse? Therefore, the circuit would power when the doors open (doom light fuse/circuit) and turn off when the doors close. Then it would get power from the ignition fuse when the truck is turned on. See attached pic.

This sounds too simple, but just looking for some feedback from the experts.

Attachments

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
A simple project using 2 relay modules.

Wire the first to the ignition ON fuse, then the second to the dome light, or any other light that comes on when the doors are opened.

Then wire the NO relay switches in parallel setting up a new circuit with the LED strips in series with the relay switches, using any open fuse block to provide the positive.

I would not wire this circuit without using relays.

TPA-MX

Joined Jan 15, 2019
Hi Electric!

Thanks for the feedback. I get a little lost when you start talking how to wire up the relays. I was given the idea of using Diodes as well to restrict the flow of current vs. using relays?

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
Well you are going to have to do something to avoid shorting the ignition and the dome light, short of using 4 LED strips.

So yea, you could use diodes, but the relays give the advantage of moving the load to a different circuit and fuse instead of loading the ignition and dome light circuits.

TPA-MX

Joined Jan 15, 2019
Ok, makes sense. I am going to go visit a local CES Electric shop to see if they can point me in the right direction on how to hook/solder everything up. More to come.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks Spinnaker! What type of shop did you take it to?

I was thinking I could wire up the lights first to the ignition trigger. Ground to frame, red to the ignition fuse. Then could I splice in another red wired to the doom light fuse? Therefore, the circuit would power when the doors open (doom light fuse/circuit) and turn off when the doors close. Then it would get power from the ignition fuse when the truck is turned on. See attached pic.

This sounds too simple, but just looking for some feedback from the experts.

A place that does customization. Here is the place that is near me to give you an idea on the type of business.
http://www.totalimageautosport.com/

They go great work and stand behind it.

Where do you live?

TPA-MX

Joined Jan 15, 2019
I would consider using Relays...but the connection of it/them really confuses me. Diodes are super simple. Thoughts?

Tons of places.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=tampa,+fl+custom+car+interiors&FORM=AWRE

Seriously, if you want a great looking job you should consider it. Of course do your homework first.

They may even be able to give you other ideas you have not thought of.
Yep, I called a local shop that can do the work, but they want $200+ . I bought the kit for $19. I can justify spending all the extra money and plus I like learning the stuff and the DIY aspect.

Last edited by a moderator: