Wireless powered rotor electric motor project

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
Hi guys, wondering if I could get help to make this motor electrics more efficient/powerful. I've made it and it works but I'm sure it can be enhanced to be better. Any help appricated. Thanksimage.jpegimage.jpeg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
How do you define better? Have you made measurements and identified any losses?
One thing you might consider is the air gap between rotor and stator. The smaller the better but of course you need mechanical precision to avoid contact.

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
How do you define better? Have you made measurements and identified any losses?
One thing you might consider is the air gap between rotor and stator. The smaller the better but of course you need mechanical precision to avoid contact.
Thanks for your interest, well I'm not a electrical engineer by any means, so by better I was hoping to see if the circuit I'm using is the one to use.if it's ok,not sure if I'm using the correct resistors,transistors etc.
I haven't made any measurements as I don't really have the expertise or equipment, which makes it hard yes! I want to make better coils as the ones I'm using were to see if it works. But again,not sure on wire size or how many winds I should use. Is there a frequency I should be aiming for? And what I should be using to obtain this.
I was after information or ideas on what I should be doing to improve this system by someone with more knowledge on this subject like yourself.
Thanks Wayneh

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
You see, in the first post you ask how to make this more powerful. I have a hard time decoding what THIS might actually be, how it is supposed to operate and what should it actually do. You need to do a lot more explaining if you want some help.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Current limiting?

But anyway, a circuit description and a statement of the goals would be nice before we can make it "better".

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
You see, in the first post you ask how to make this more powerful. I have a hard time decoding what THIS might actually be, how it is supposed to operate and what should it actually do. You need to do a lot more explaining if you want some help.
Is there pictures there for you to look at?It's not that hard to work out mate, Motor!!

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
Current limiting?

But anyway, a circuit description and a statement of the goals would be nice before we can make it "better".
Sure,I'll do my best. So I'm using the H-bridge controlled by the hall sensor to change polarity on the stator electromagnet to oppose the rotor for motion. The bottom part of the circuit is switching to give Ac for the wireless transmission to work then rectified to feed power to the rotor electromagnet. Goal is to get it to work correctly. As its gone from a simple idea in my head to a working model that I can't find anywhere else. So would love to make a decent prototype if we can sort it out.
Thoughts?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I don't understand why you're using 12v dc to make an hf oscillator pulsing a pushpull transformer, then converting the Ac back to Dc to feed a coil?

Is the transformer a wireless connection pickup, like a wireless charger?

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
I don't understand why you're using 12v dc to make an hf oscillator pulsing a pushpull transformer, then converting the Ac back to Dc to feed a coil?

Is the transformer a wireless connection pickup, like a wireless charger?
Yes, exactly. Is this the way to go or is there a better circuit available? If this ones ok! Can I make it more powerful to make my electromagnet stronger?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Still dont get why you want a Wireless motor,?
surely when you connect power to it its going to move from its position and what psu is feeding the stator a battery or a dc psu?

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
surely when you connect power to it its going to move from its position and what psu is feeding the stator a battery or a dc psu?
Well Dave I thought like a conventional induction motor
im using wireless for the rotor so there's no brushes,friction,magnets like a coventional motor. I'm using a battery atm for the whole thing. What do you think I should use.
And thank for your interest too Dodgydave. As I've said I'm really not that good at electrics. But I'll get there.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You're better off designing an ac motor, with a rotating field, like a three phase motor, wireless power is too wasteful, stick to conventional brushes.

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
Ok, trying
You're better off designing an ac motor, with a rotating field, like a three phase motor, wireless power is too wasteful, stick to conventional brushes.
Ok, trying to learn here, but isn't that how a Ac induction motor works? Wireless powered to induct the rotor?
So you think(know) there's to much loss here?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Wireless sort of implies radio, the induction motor is by magnetic induction, an induction motor at switch on is a transformer with a shorted turn secondary, hence the high initial current, as the rotor turns and the slip frequency decreases, the difference between the rotating stator field and the rotor field, so does the current.
Max.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Its not wireless, it directly enerises the coils and creates a rotating field, and the rotor follows this magnetic field,

Or if its a universal motor it creates a field in the stator, and an opposite field in the rotor which keeps alternating as it rotates due to the brushes.

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
Ok, thanks MaxHeadRoom, Dodgydave. Dave as you said with the universal motor I guess that's what I'm trying to do here. I'm making another now with more poles on both stator/rotor. But my idea was to eliminate brushes due to wear,friction,limiting RPM & places the motor can be used like confined spaces due to dust from brushes. I also thought I could make it more powerful by eleminating magnets and using stronger electromagnets! I thought it was a good idea. Looks like it's not! But still,it was worth a shot.

Jason27

Joined Nov 15, 2015
You may be better off to make a BLDC motor, these are gradually replacing both induction and DC brushed motors, an interesting concept is the outrunner, such as used in RC and the Fisher-Paykel washine machine motor.
http://www.directdrivemotors.com/
Max.
Funny you say that max, that's where all this started for me. That actual Fisher-Paykel motor. Thought I could improve on that by eleminating the magnets with more powerful electromagnets with no brushes. Have defentaly appreciated the input from all you guys here. But still. If you think of something I can try to improve this motor or the circuit I have would be great. Thanks