Wireless power transmission - Microwave or Laser (IR??) to transmit 2-10 watts?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
I'm not sure how possible this would be and I know that power can be transmitted via microwaves and laser, and I need to power a small device about 200-300 yards away. It won't be easily accessible and I'm not sure solar is going to work here for many reasons.

However the power is transmitted I am guessing that it is going to be used to charge a battery and then the device will run from the battery, so the power receiver will be a trickle charger.

Line of sight to the device is available with nothing in the way.

Is a project like this possible and if so, what is needed to do this (either retail items or basic electronic components needed to do this type of thing).

I'm wondering if a converted direct TV dish will work as a reveiver? Could I point a microwave oven element at an antenna and pick up power with some kind of antenna?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'm wondering if a converted direct TV dish will work as a reveiver? Could I point a microwave oven element at an antenna and pick up power with some kind of antenna?
When you cook eggs, ever noticed how an eggs' white turns from transparent to, well, white? That's what happens to your corneas when they're exposed to microwave radiation.
Having said that, collecting the power is far more difficult than transmitting it. You'd have to choose the right power and frequency to make sure that no humans or important electronic devices are affected.