Wireless Power Transfer

Furqan Haider

Joined Jan 15, 2016
Hello everyone. I have a project of Witricity and i made a wireless mobile charging in the shape of Witricity. Although i have already done with my project but i implement it on from 4-5cm range but i want to transfer this power from some more large range i.e. 1-2 meter. Please guide me that how can i made this possible. How can i charge mobile or run any appliance from about 1-2 meter ??

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There's nothing wrong with any component. The thing which i just want to know that how i can implement it from 1-2 meter. Whether i increase the no.of turns on transmitting coil or anything else? Guide me!

you want to go from 5cm to 150 cm. That is 30x the distance. So, you just have to use the 1/d-squared law. In your case, 30 squared is 900. Use 900x more power than your first project.

You may need bigger diameter wires in your new project.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The flat truth about 'wireless' power. It's not easy to move beyond simple near-field induction. People are trying just about everything under the sky but I'm skeptical of wireless power in a room sized space for anything more than milliwatts is practical under current inverse square law physics unless some version of directional beam forming is used.

http://ubeam.com/

These guy are using ultrasonic energy.

Furqan Haider

Joined Jan 15, 2016
you want to go from 5cm to 150 cm. That is 30x the distance. So, you just have to use the 1/d-squared law. In your case, 30 squared is 900. Use 900x more power than your first project.

You may need bigger diameter wires in your new project.
Ohhh you mean that i just increase the number of turns on Tx coil ?? Actually i used 36 turns receiving coil and 10 turns transmitting coil in my first project.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Ohhh you mean that i just increase the number of turns on Tx coil ?? Actually i used 36 turns receiving coil and 10 turns transmitting coil in my first project.
No, turns are not equal to power.

I am saying that if you put 10 watts into the first project, that you will need 9000 watts into the new project.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Creating a matched resonance between the coils can increase the distance over which power can be transmitted.
Have you got the proper equipment to determine your inductance and calculate the resonant frequency?

Furqan Haider

Joined Jan 15, 2016
Creating a matched resonance between the coils can increase the distance over which power can be transmitted.
Have you got the proper equipment to determine your inductance and calculate the resonant frequency?
yes my both coils frequencies are matched with each other that's why i implement it successfully but now i want to run it at a range of 1-2 meters. how do i do this?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Hey why bother charging a phone using approx 5W of power from the mains with a lead, just use a kilowatt instead with wireless charging,!!! :confused:

way to go Asia, world leaders in CO2 emissions....

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Resonance only solves the impedance matching problem for better coupling of near fields, it doesn't solve the basic radiation or resistance loss problems.

Furqan Haider

Joined Jan 15, 2016
Hey why bother charging a phone using approx 5W of power from the mains with a lead, just use a kilowatt insted with wireless charging,!!! :confused:

way to go....
Sorry mate. I can't understand what you are trying to say. Just show me a map that how can i use kilowatt or some big power ??as one fellow says that upto 900W will be used for my desired thing.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The flat truth about 'wireless' power. It's not easy to move beyond simple near-field induction. People are trying just about everything under the sky but I'm skeptical of wireless power in a room sized space for anything more than milliwatts is practical under current inverse square law physics unless some version of directional beam forming is used.

http://ubeam.com/

These guy are using ultrasonic energy.
Update: https://techcrunch.com/2016/05/11/charged/

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sorry mate. I can't understand what you are trying to say. Just show me a map that how can i use kilowatt or some big power ??as one fellow says that upto 900W will be used for my desired thing.
He is saying that the minimal efficiency of wireless power transfer makes it impractical for real world tasks. He is saying, in literal terms, that to get 5 Watts of output power may require an input power of 1,000 Watts for an efficiency of 0.5%. In my estimation that would hardly be worth the effort.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Separate from the dismal efficiency as a power transfer device is the excellent efficiency as a broadcast noise device. At 1000 W or 9000 W, 99% of the energy into the transmitter will turn into radiated noise that disrupts radios, TVs, and phones. This is guaranteed illegal.

ak

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
More to the point what is your present power transmitter circuitry designed as and what frequency are you using?

The next step is to basically make the same circuit that will operate on the same frequency but with a far higher power capacity.

Personally, some years ago I played around with wireless energy transmission using basic Tesla coils and their original designs as Tesla himself documented them. I had no problems with transmitting ~20 watts up to ~20 feet with only 100 - 200 watts of transmitter coil power that ran off a 15 KV 30 mA neon sign transformer and a spark gap.

The big trick is how to design a secondary coil set to the receiver coil that will allow for the primaries high-frequency high voltage power component to be down-converted to a lower frequency and voltage that can be easily rectified and converted to a usable DC power.

So I say it's totally doable. You just have to know how to get your energy back out of the system to make it work.;)