wireless photocell for 12v actuators

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
I have a custom built hot rod with 4 12v actuators raising the hood and 2 12v actuators raising the top, both connected to a
gama momentary polarity reversing multiple circuit switch board. It works great, but I want both sets of actuators to stop at a specific position. I cannot use manual limit switches as there is not a proper placement position. I want to use ir or photo sensors to stop the travel of the actuators at the specific lift position. I need some advice regarding the proper electronic positioning switches for this application.
thanks

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
What are the actuators? Some photos may help. On motors, a shaft encoder or a magnet on a shaft driving a counter could be used. Opto choppers also are an option. There are many ways to solve your problem but a lot depends on what you have and the mechanical setup.
More detail please.

34ford454

Joined Feb 16, 2018
What are the actuators? Some photos may help. On motors, a shaft encoder or a magnet on a shaft driving a counter could be used. Opto choppers also are an option. There are many ways to solve your problem but a lot depends on what you have and the mechanical setup.
More detail please.
The actuators are 22" and the four that lift the hood are on one circuit and the two that lift the top are on a second circuit. I am using a Gama reverse polarity 4 circuit controller and the controller is only momentary. I will have to first make or buy a switch that latches. I am aware that the actuators have a magnet inside in order to set the travel, but all actuators are not accessible and this route for limiting the travel will not work. That is why I am searching for another method. I might try a set of garage door safety photo sensors. Any further suggestions.?
thanks

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You could try Ultrasonic measurements or IR.
https://www.dummies.com/computers/a...out-arduino-sensors-using-capacitive-sensors/
A lot will depend on your mechanical setup and the accuracy needed.
To stop at the end, a polyswitch (resetable fuse) with a reverse diode of suitable current capacity works. When the motor stalls, the higher stall current operates the polyswitch and stops the motor. To drive the other way, the reverse diode bypasses the polyswitch. So 2 polyswitches and 2 diodes are needed for each motor so the current is cut off both of travel.