wireless(low power) help.

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
Hey anyone can advice me on this?

Basically i am trying to find out a wireless solution which i can connect a number of devices together using the lowest power needed. Is bluetooth the best choice?

Also can any bluetooth expert/anyone give me a good read up link on how bluetooth are connected and the data/infomations transferred is stored?

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for the reply.. i think i will make it simple by describing what i need.. i am thinking of making/looking for a wireless devices/modules that can transmit&receive data in real-time(up to maybe 5 devices or more) and the wireless function is always on. the device(physical design) is as small&thin as possible(look like the lastest ipodnano). For power supply is to charge using USB(5V?). wireless range as far as possible. The important point is the device must be as small as possible. is there any such device available on market/references/any kind advice?

Building a complex device in a Apple Nano sized package is far beyond your skill level. Even without the size restriction tell us what you're trying to build. What RF range do you need?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You really need to !! Nail down !! your requirements.

If you were to say, "I need 5 data lines to be transmitted 30 feet using as little power as possible for increased battery life"

Now, if you are transmitting streaming video or something like that, it will be a much different design than if you are transmitting a few bytes.

In order to have the transmitters and receivers "talk" to each other and do error correction, the packet size should be figured out.

The better you discribe your project, the more people will have input on possible design ideas.

As thin as possible you say.. So what is the purpose of this device?

Are you trying to make a tracking device the size of a credit card?

Are you trying to send serial data in a building for an alarm system, and you need the small size because it has to be out of sight?

How do you plan on powering this device? Battery? Wall plug? Solar?

If your main thing is size restriction, let the MAXIMUM SIZE be known.

The reason is: There must be a battery or power supply that can fit in there.

If you must use something that small, then you may buy a broken ipod nano from someonw, and use the case and battery for this project.

You will have to pay to have it built, unless you are some crazy robot with superhero soldering skills.

Once you determine the distance and the type of data to be transmitted, then we can find a device that can operate at those specs and with the battery or power supply you are using.

Get as much info for the device together. Think about exactly what you want it to do.

If you want to see if your girlfriend is cheating, and you want a small tracking device, bluetooth isn't gonna do it.

I think a few feet is the max for bluetooth in most cases, and it is much happier with a few inches.