wireless irrigation system

mukesh1

Joined Mar 22, 2020
Hi

I am looking for ideas on wireless irrigation system for agriculture. I searched for it on the internet and I found a similar video on YouTube

I think the below parts are used in this project This is just my guess I could be wrong

soil moisture sensors
GSM module / Wifi Module
Microcontroller
Relay
Pump Motor
Valve

Can anyone tell me What parts may I need if I want to build a system like this?

any help would be appreciated

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Define the requirements of the project.
The purpose of an irrigation system is to apply water to crops.
What do you mean by wireless?
How do you supply electrical power?

mukesh1

Joined Mar 22, 2020
Define the requirements of the project.
The purpose of an irrigation system is to apply water to crops.
What do you mean by wireless?
How do you supply electrical power?
Mostly irrigation is done by tradition methods I want to do something that farmers can irrigate their crop by sitting at home using a mobile APP. A smart farm irrigation system that uses the android phone for remote monitoring and controlling of the motor pump through a wireless sensor network.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So you want to be an armchair farmer. You still have not defined what the mobile app is supposed to do.
As I understand it, successful farming requires that the farmer has to walk around the farm and get dirt under his fingernails.

mukesh1

Joined Mar 22, 2020
So you want to be an armchair farmer. You still have not defined what the mobile app is supposed to do.
As I understand it, successful farming requires that the farmer has to walk around the farm and get dirt under his fingernails.
I want farmers to be able to watch their crops live through their mobile app and irrigate their crops at the right time That means farmers can monitor and control their water supply from home on his mobile application. Is it possible, What do you think, What should be a good wireless irrigation system?

Now the question is, do I need a camera or should I use a moisture sensor for irrigation

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I want farmers to be able to watch their crops live through their mobile app and irrigate their crops at the right time That means farmers can monitor and control their water supply from home on his mobile application. Is it possible, What do you think, What should be a good wireless irrigation system?

Now the question is, do I need a camera or should I use a moisture sensor for irrigation
A good irrigation system will work without intervention from the farmer. Cameras would just complicate the system. Just use an off the shelf security system if it really is a requirement (who wants to sit and watch their turnips grow?).
Reporting system failure can be done in a variety of standard ways depending on the distance to be covered.
The hardware requirements would vary depending on the size of the property, i.e. anything from a back yard vegetable patch to a 100 acre cornfield.
It would be difficult to design a general solution for all irrigation requirements. Try talking to a few farmers and find out what they really need and then think about a specific solution for a well defined requirement.
Regards,
Keith

mukesh1

Joined Mar 22, 2020
Reporting system failure can be done in a variety of standard ways depending on the distance to be covered.
I have talked to some farmers, whose farm are far away from their home they want a system so that they can irrigate their crops from home. so they can save their travelling time

I found that moisture sensor mostly use in such type of system but the disadvantage of the sensor is that if a sensor becomes damaged, then we will not get the correct information, due to which crop can also be ruined

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I found that moisture sensor mostly use in such type of system but the disadvantage of the sensor is that if a sensor becomes damaged, then we will not get the correct information
I thing a moisture sensor would be the way to go, but for reliability you could use at least two.
That will tell you if one goes bad.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You still have not defined the purpose of the mobile app.
What is the app supposed to do?

Even without using a mobile phone, an intelligent irrigation system will water the crops automatically based on time, weather, soil moisture, and crop requirements. There is no need for a mobile phone.

mukesh1

Joined Mar 22, 2020
You still have not defined the purpose of the mobile app.
What is the app supposed to do?

Even without using a mobile phone, an intelligent irrigation system will water the crops automatically based on time, weather, soil moisture, and crop requirements. There is no need for a mobile phone.
Your point is correct There is no need for a mobile phone. I see only one benefit of the mobile app that farmer can on / off the motor pump through the mobile app from any location

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I have a feeling whether or not you actually have power available will dictate if this will work or not.

I take it by traditional farming methods you are saying animal pulled implements, manual work, and a few acres for a field or section of land. Something solar powered may be affordable enough to want to do it.

Much more land than that and the need to start moving large volumes of water will probably get exponentially more expensive to do with solar. A connection to the power grid would be necessary.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
@mukesh1 - If you are in the USA, products for this already exist. If you are elsewhere, there are a number of considerations
o Power
o transmitter type & distance
o several transducers for monitoring/feedback
o distribution and control system (pvc, tube, etc)

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I would think that your priority would be to design a system that would be reliable. No use if the farmer has to keep driving to fix things. Dependable Data collection would be first in my mind. Review your data to construct action logic, with feedback and correction. You would then transmit your data to the farm management system at some interval. Parameter updating could flow back.
Data collection I would think would map the plot. Individual collectors, solar powered would transmit To the local controller.