Wireless ignitor using Walkie-Talkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackcat31404

Joined Feb 1, 2021
Hey. So I am currently working on an interesting project. I am trying to make a wireless ignitor for a small magnesium flare. What I do not understand is how to get the electronic part of this project to work. I essentially need to wire up a Baofeng BF-888S walkie-talkie in such a way that it will be able to heat a small piece of 46 AWG (0.04mm) Nichrome wire to a temperature sufficient to ignite a match. I was going to do this by disconnecting the speaker, and using the wires that power it as my source of electricity. The issue is, from everything I have seen, the output for the speaker will not be enough to heat the wire. What should I do? I am sure I could use some kind of relay plugged into an extension cord, but the whole point was for it to be wireless. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there:)
I was going to do this by disconnecting the speaker, and using the wires that power it as my source of electricity
You're on the right track, instead of speaker insert a relay and connect to car battery in series with a small piece of 46 AWG (0.04mm) Nichrome wire, bam you're done.:cool:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hello there:)

You're on the right track, instead of speaker insert a relay and connect to car battery in series with a small piece of 46 AWG (0.04mm) Nichrome wire, bam you're done.:cool:
The output to the speaker is AC and will not drive a DC relay coil. You would need to add a bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor to make it work.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
A lot of extremists would love to know how to do this as well. Not a good topic to cover on a public forum, especially during times of "social upheaval"

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
hi Blackcat.
Could you explain the reason for igniting a flare by remote control.?

E
A lot of extremists would love to know how to do this as well. Not a good topic to cover on a public forum, especially during times of "social upheaval"
I have to agree with both sentiments - what's the purpose? And - well - are you a terrorist?

Assuming the purpose is benign - using a walkie talkie to trigger an event means someone else can also trigger it - while you're building it or transporting it. To be bluntly honest, this is a horrible idea. Unless you can absolutely guarantee that no one else will be transmitting on the same frequency.

Having operated CB radio's since the early 70's, there's a lot of "Hash & Trash" out there. Depending on where you are, big cities, heavily populated areas - you can get an unwanted triggering resulting in a premature detonation of the device you want to control.

I know I asked if you are a terrorist. While I kid to some degree, I must express a deep concern for this project because it can be used to trigger a fire or explosion with the purpose of harming property or life. That's why @MrChips, who is a moderator, has clearly stated that this thread may be locked. If your purpose is nefarious, while it's always good to have new members join AAC, persons who wish to harm other living organisms (mice - rats - cats - dogs - other people) those are forbidden topics.

So please be clear about your intent if you wish any further help.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there :)
The output to the speaker is AC and will not drive a DC relay coil
I truly admire your work here at AAC. So... Respectfully and in no way am I trying to beat you up.Relays are classified based on their different operation principles.
I have designed and implemented the remote triggering of pyrotechnic displays
by using walkie talkie radios.
The EMR relay is designed for AC or DC source depending on the application it is used for. The structure of AC & DC EMR relay differs from each other by having a slight difference in its coil construction.;)

Blackcat31404

Joined Feb 1, 2021
hi Blackcat.
Could you explain the reason for igniting a flare by remote control.?

E
Well, honestly I just came up with the idea and though it would be a cool project to try. I guess I didn't expect so much backlash. My idea was just to make it in order to get used to and learn about electronics, and also because it would be cool to be able to have a remote controlled flare/ model rocket ignitor that I made at home, as opposed to buying one online. I guess it is just about making something cool that works. I get the concern, though.

Blackcat31404

Joined Feb 1, 2021
I have to agree with both sentiments - what's the purpose? And - well - are you a terrorist?

Assuming the purpose is benign - using a walkie talkie to trigger an event means someone else can also trigger it - while you're building it or transporting it. To be bluntly honest, this is a horrible idea. Unless you can absolutely guarantee that no one else will be transmitting on the same frequency.

Having operated CB radio's since the early 70's, there's a lot of "Hash & Trash" out there. Depending on where you are, big cities, heavily populated areas - you can get an unwanted triggering resulting in a premature detonation of the device you want to control.

I know I asked if you are a terrorist. While I kid to some degree, I must express a deep concern for this project because it can be used to trigger a fire or explosion with the purpose of harming property or life. That's why @MrChips, who is a moderator, has clearly stated that this thread may be locked. If your purpose is nefarious, while it's always good to have new members join AAC, persons who wish to harm other living organisms (mice - rats - cats - dogs - other people) those are forbidden topics.

So please be clear about your intent if you wish any further help.
I merely was trying to do a cool project, as I have a place out in the middle of nowhere to test stuff like that out. My intention is far from malicious, and I have absolutely no intention of using this for anything related to explosives. That being said, I think that deleting this thread would be a good idea, as all it is doing is stirring things up. Thank you for your advice, and I am sincerely sorry for any scare I may have caused.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thanks for responding. This idea is fraught with concerns of safety. You might have seen signs like this where rock blasting is taking place.

1612204657426.png

Do not let this cause you to shy away from entertaining other project ideas with us on AAC. That is what we are here for - to pursue our interests in this hobby and professional career in a safe manner.

This thread is now closed to further discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.