Wireless easiest way to close contact

qwerty88

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi.

I have a raspberry pi zero w + camera connected outside my door. Sometimes I want to turn that raspberry off. And then on again. I read this post
https://howchoo.com/g/mwnlytk3zmm/how-to-add-a-power-button-to-your-raspberry-pi
where when we pulse a GPIO we can turn off and then pulse again and it will be on again (interrupt edge detection).
My problem is that I don't want to have wires across the wall or door to switch that. I also don't want to add more current consumption devices so I thought of a Reed switch or tilt switch that I could pulse using a simple magnet from indoors. I just don't think it will work because of the distance (door thickness) and the fact that the door is aluminum might not help too.

Can anhone suggest a better way to solve this problem?
I thought of wireless switch thgough Rf signal but that would require an always on poweted receiver... Same with wifi.
Sound, vibration, light, ultrasound? Something that would be simple might be better.

Thanks

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
There are a pile of variations on the wireless relays that @Reloadron linked above and surely one of those would do the trick. But if you can get within a couple of inches of the reed switch, then a reasonable neodymium magnet just might be enough to trip it, a good reed switch can be very sensitive.

qwerty88

Joined Sep 21, 2011
There are a pile of variations on the wireless relays that @Reloadron linked above and surely one of those would do the trick. But if you can get within a couple of inches of the reed switch, then a reasonable neodymium magnet just might be enough to trip it, a good reed switch can be very sensitive.
I ended up ignoring the button. I have the pi always on, powered by a 2A 5V transformer. The wall switch turns on/off the pi (hard shutdown). Hope it does not ruin the file system.