Wireless Desktop Speaker Recommendation

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I got varmint trouble. I have conventional desktop speakers. An audio line from computer to base speaker and two lines from there to left and right speakers.

It is nothing bodacious or high class, just speakers that give me computer audio. My problem is my two cats.

They constantly argue for possession of DESK and the area underneath. I live in several inches of cat hair.

Their constant wrestling makes for intermittent audio connections and requires "knee work" to regain audio.

It's becoming a real pain for a decrepit hick.

Ideally.....I want a bluetooth dongle with two wireless stereo speakers. I do not use my computer for media.

So not looking for performance.....just functionality. So even battery powered would work.....but wall-wart would be ok. And if possible.....no wires between speakers. Want two speakers.....but will except bar if necessary.

I have searched for wireless and bluetooth desktop speakers.......and even sound bars........but all have audio line from computer(or tv) to speaker. Evidently.......the wireless function is for aux external devices.....not the computer. I guess so that phone calls can cut in?

Perhaps it's a matter of the proper search terms.

Anyhow.......any recommendations are appreciated.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 3, I think 3, are bluetooth speakers and can be paired for stereo (left and right). The previous versions, 1 and 2, could not be paired. The problem with Onys Studio in general is the way their physical base is designed, the two feet are kind of odd and easily broken. Otherwise, they are high quality sound, have battery and have wall wart or USB external charging. Since they are older model, they are cheaper than current model 4 or 5, and you can get used ones from ebay. Maybe buy ones with broken legs and fashion a base for each.

Overall, I think you should be looking at Portable bluetooth speakers (targeted toward cell phone market), but make sure they can be paired.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ok.....it's been quite an education.....this bluetooth. Other than a very small bluetooth keyboard for a dongle computer about 5 years ago.......I have no experience with it.

Along with reducing the desk array of wires and cords.....I decided to re-accessorize my desktop with bluetooth.

First lesson......when looking for bluetooth speakers......the magic term is TWS. True Wireless Speakers.

Second lesson and a big problem with bluetooth......time lag, causing an out of sync between video and audio.

The bluetooth dongle for my computer is V 4.0.

The keyboard I bought was V3.0. The 2 speakers I bought were V4.2. I also bought a headphone receiver and amp, which is V4.2.

Connecting the speakers in stereo mode and the keyboard was very easy. I had two disappointments. The speakers were rated at 10 watts each. I might get 5 watts I believe. But the sound is really super great.

Second....the voice mismatch. And the same effect with the headphone receiver. The voice mismatch was easy to resolve. Un-pair the keyboard. It was the V3.0 that caused it. With the keyboard disconnected....no time lag. And that is a shame. This keyboard is super great, really like it. I will keep it for spare or possibly buy another BT dongle for it....sorta another network. Not sure if that would work...think it should. I have a 2.4GHz RF non BT keyboard coming.

So I believe I will have my functionality and the audio performance has been greatly improved.

Now....if I could just figure out how to boot to BIOS! ha ha