Wiper Motor

Zane121

Joined Mar 20, 2021
Hello and thank you for adding me. Really hoping someone can help me out here.
I have a problem with my cars wiper motor, and to cut a long story short I need to rewire my own circuit rather than the cars original.

So my question is how do I do this? I have a four wire motor I have figured out that ( I think ),
  1. pin 1: Hi speed
  2. pin 2: Low speed
  3. pin 3: ?
  4. pin 4: Ground.
How do I wire this in so that I can have a switch in the car that will power the speed (low is fine) and have the motor "park".
I do not need hi speed or anything else. This is for a fair weather car that will never see a wet road.
I am not great at wiring, though I can normally get by however this has me stumped.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there :) welcome to AAC!
Pin#3 is Ludacris speed!
Just kidding make and model of your vehicle please.
You also want your windshield wiper to park your car for you?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
There may be a cam or wiper connection that is use to make the motor self park when the wipers are turned off. This connection would have power on even when the wipers were switched off. This keeps the motor running until a contact opens when it reaches the park position.

Les.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You need to search for a Wiring Schematic for your car, quite often they will be self explanatory.
Or, look for repair Videos.
Another option is to just get a FUSED Hot wire, and start poking around with it, and see what happens.
Don't do the last suggestion if your Wiper-Motor has a Circuit-Board built-in to it.

Zane121

Joined Mar 20, 2021
So the car is a Smart 452 Roadster. I'd love for the wiper motor to park the car but no lol.
Sadly with this I need an idiots guide or at least a step by step.
I don't know how to wire it so the park works.
All the videos I find are for 5 wire motors, so this can be or rather is confusing me. I think as I have been at this for a wile now I am over thinking it.
As I say I know that pins 1&2 are for speed and 4 is ground as is the body but I don't know how to wire in the park.
I tried to wire pin 3 to constant live and have pin 2 on a switch but all this did was short it out.

Zane121

Joined Mar 20, 2021
You need to search for a Wiring Schematic for your car, quite often they will be self explanatory.
Or, look for repair Videos.
Another option is to just get a FUSED Hot wire, and start poking around with it, and see what happens.
Don't do the last suggestion if your Wiper-Motor has a Circuit-Board built-in to it.
All the wire diagrams for this car show the motor going to the sam unit (cars computer and fuse box) so I'd like to wire it separately.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You need to go past the Fuse-Box and find out what happens at the original Wiper-Switch.
There is going to be a Circuit-Board somewhere in the Car that implements the
"Intermittent" operation of the Motor, and operates the Squirter-Pump.
You may also have 3-Relays, one for "High", and one for "Low", and one for "Squirt".

Zane121

Joined Mar 20, 2021
So the "sam" unit is what controls everything in this car and there a pain to work on. There are 2 relays for this one in the sam unit and one near it and both are working fine. There is an issue somewhere but I cant find it and others can't either. So I need to bypass the original circuit and wire in my own, and am ok with that. I don't need intermittent sweep or hi speed. All I need is low speed and for the wipers to rest or park. I am sure these motors (if wired correctly) will rest or park when switched off.
I hoped that someone would be able to tell me what or rather how to wire the motor with a switch and when switched off the wiper motor would continue its rotation and then stop at its rest position.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
There's more than one way to skin a cat ........
And, about 10,000 ways to control a Wiper-Motor.
If you're lucky .........
1) There will be no "Intermittent" Control Circuit-Board built-into the Motor.
2) The Motor is grounded by it's Mounting Bracket.
3) There is a "High-Speed" Wire, that you don't need, it must be insulated.
4) There is a "Low-Speed" Wire that you must identify and connect to a Fused-Switch.
5) There is a "Hot-at-all-Times" Wire that must be connected to the Battery through a Fuse.
( number 5 may only be "hot" with the ignition "on", but it is not switched otherwise ).

Number 5 is what "Parks" the Wipers after you turn off number 4.

This is no guarantee,
it's just the most common, and cheapest way, that Wipers are commonly controlled.
If you have a Circuit-Board built-into your Wiper-Motor, you may SMOKE IT.

The Motor may not automatically "Self-Park"
if there is no Drag or Friction from the Wiper-Blades to slow-down the speed of the Motor.

Last edited: