windows 2k server nic isues

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I got an old system and put win 2000 server on it and installed 2 nics that as far as I know worked fine when last tested. they show up in the connections all the properties seem to work, but having issues with ISA server recognizing either one, as well as the servers DNS service. they both just error out saying this address is not valid or not showing in the list. I've never seen this before normally if driver it wouldn't even show in connections, und updated the one driver and still same issue. not sure server 200 has some bug that I need to do something with or what. not all that familiar with the older versions of server such as 2000. everything I read says setup services, etc, isa and say nothing about this. looked around also and not seeing anything. also had issue with server 03 on system behaved the same way. thinking maybe its the MOBO, but have USB card in pci that works fine. as far as I know if nic shows up in network conn then should be usable provided has network info. if not add driver then it will show and work.
any ideas on what to do to fix this?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Why not just boot with a live Linux CD and confirm all the hardware is working? Then you can muck around in Windows as much as necessary to make it work.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
good idea. even updated driver appears normal, but haven't actually tested with connection. but some reason nothing in windows recognizes. beginning to think it may be MOBO. usb card works, but shows as has an issue. suppose maybe try and pull that maybe messing up pci bus.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
BTW, support for Win2k Server ended 3 years ago. A linux box would be infinitely more useful, stable, *and secure*. Any particular reason for Win2K other than you just happen to have a copy lying around?

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
probably because I had it and the system is from like 1998 made for NT server. know will do 03, but have ISA server also came with it. as well I get the newer versions through my schools program. I just wanted to try ISA server see what it's like and incase I ever set one up for a job. gave me issue before then found out isa 06 only runs on 03 so tried that failed same issue decided try 2k again with disk I forgot I had for ISA for 2000. also be surprised if system ran 03 stably PII CPU like 300 MHZ, 192 MB ram. considering putting in place of router for home network then I get IDS, firewall, proxy (thought nat also does) and a cache which I think could be nice since our ISP allows like 10GB a mo so save some bandwidth.