windows server 2003 network share access

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i just changed os from XP pro to srv 03 on my home file server. was using netwoek maped drives to it. however srv 03 regires authentication. and i do not want to use active direcory. it was trying to authenticate to my deskto pthat is accesing it when i specified hostname\username like the domain usernames work i tryed a difernet system but just kept failing. i will try updates to fix it. but seems odd that R2 out of box could have such a isue. i would think that if yuou have a account and password that are valid and permison to the shares it should work. is this possibnle with server 03? or should i try server 2000 or are they the same in this case?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Why not try a Linux distro, and Samba?

I had a Samba file server in the garage for 7 years. The only time it was off, were on power failures. That was an old Red Hat 6.2 distro. Now you can choose from one of the three Debian based Ubuntu versions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu or Xbuntu), Opensuse, Slakware, Gentoo, and a lot others. Check this out.

Or, you can use Free NAS.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i have free nas was origainaly going to try that but was the first time working with SCSI and wanted somthing somwhat fimilar to test it. not sure free nas will work with SCSI because of drivers but may give that a try. i considered linux but then i have to be able to access it from windows but most newer versions hould suport NFS access.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Do you have the users defined as local users on the server 2003 box? Or are you trying to use your local computer's host name for the user name to authenticate with?
If you are trying to connect to \\MyServer\MyShare from MyDesktop, you will need a local user on MyServer. ...like MyServer\MyServerUser.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
i can remote to it usiong just adminstator credintial. but this fails when shere acces atempted the share defaults to acounts on the desktop even administrator witch no acount on the desktop exists with te name administrator. when i had xp on it i didd \\servername for access worked fine. now i have tryed to change hosts when doing this like domain names. using system\usernameand nothing usily still goes to loacal system. i can do what i want using remote desktop copy/ paste but not too fond of doing it like that.