Wind & Water generator..volts watts n what

Drg88

Joined Nov 10, 2019
I'm doing my research and I'm hitting a wall in cant get past
I cant edit title for some reason wind and water lol. I have a water stream
Mod: Edited Title.E

I'm trying to supply my workshop in the woods with electric . My current wind turbine isn't upto power I need to go bigger

My workshop is powering 1500watts constantly 24/7 for my kiln room security computer and cold meat room.

I've been researching and hopefully for notes and help.
@@@@@@@@@
1 or 3 phase power ? Old mills use 3phase and they look efficient but what's the catch as I saw someone say dont use 3phase cant remember why. But then I've seen them saying dc all the way others sware by ac...

Confusing..
So high volts at low rpm ..
Ac or dc do I need a converter or does my inverter handle that still...

Talking of which what is the wattage on an inverter doing like do I need to match it up to the task or just max out. 300w or 2000w is it the charge rate at what it can handle arrghhh??

Car alternators.. 50a ay 12v bit rpms high 1000idle and 10k max.. so does it never reach 50a? Or is 50a delivered slowly.. hm so many guides counter what they teach so here I am again.
Some say use car alternators there amazing others day they wont deliver due to low rpm of the wind or water..

Treadmil.. now I got 2 motors. These range 50v to 280v 500rpm to 5krpm

234w 130v at 500rpm 1.8amp
1500watt 220v at 4600rpm 8amp

Amp x volt =watts or power

So what is a watt on a generator like I'd thaught tovlook for higher wattage not v x a x rpm

So the aim is 0.035volt min
And rule 5amp minimum.

To generate enough power..

Volt ÷rpm =power out.

220÷4600=0.047 and x500rpm (speed I get) 23.5volt x 0.8 efficiency 18.8volt

At 500rpm I get 18.8 volts
Power is v x a so 18.8x5amp = 150w?

Now why is there 2 volt... 220v then I do maths to work out 18.8 volt ?

What is it that charges the batterys or runs the power direct off the inverter ?
I mean if I need 1500watts surely the treadmil is only producing 150watts if I am reading right ??

So I need to get more voltage at 500rpm?

I can run 2 water wheels 2 motors
But stil that's 300watt?

I cant get my head around what is what
How dovi know how fast the voltage is delivered to the batterys ? Or meaning how do I know howmuch immidieate power I am getting
How can I achieve this what motor do I need really cause my headaches hurting 19 hrs up this time over 5 weeks and I'm following people who are recommending ametek low 500rpm high 99v but I cant see damn why that out powers my motor mine looks better lol

2am madness I cant sleep I see volts and I cant workout where the hell they are

Please be nice lol I know I'm mad... but so was einstein and that's why were here lol

Have a good day

Last edited by a moderator:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It might be possible to help, but I cannot extract any useful information from that rambling introduction. Let us try one question at a time.

Drg88

Joined Nov 10, 2019
It might be possible to help, but I cannot extract any useful information from that rambling introduction. Let us try one question at a time.
Haha thanks more I had to get my head out lol.

I'm trying to figure out how I can power my 1500watt workshed. When I'm there obviously more will be used kettles tv etc but that's basic

I cant workout what power is what lol
So I can see I can get 18.8volt off my motor... but I'm guessing 18.8x8amp is 150watts...

If I'm correct in thinking I need to be generating 2000watts, 1500 for my workshop
And 500 for other uses or batteries.

So I need a better engine or more right?

So trying to see the power I cant workout batteries and storage or useable power. I guess metaphoricly thinking I cant see how full the glass(battery) is or how fast(amp) the waters(volt) filling it . So I cant understand howmuch I can drink (watts)while its filling...

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you need 1500 Watts, I would start with a generator(s) having a total of 3000 Watts. That way as your needs grow you will have designed excess capacity to allow for that. So you can have a combination of gas (oline or natural) gnerators along with solar power, wind power, and batteries. When it comes to batteries it is hard to beat a deep cycle marine battery. These batteries are designed for a steady power draw over a relatively long period of time as opposed to a typical automotive battery which is designed for a heavy draw over a short period of time. I have used these batteries to power a mobile amateur radio station for up to 24 hours.

Drg88

Joined Nov 10, 2019
If you need 1500 Watts, I would start with a generator(s) having a total of 3000 Watts. That way as your needs grow you will have designed excess capacity to allow for that. So you can have a combination of gas (oline or natural) gnerators along with solar power, wind power, and batteries. When it comes to batteries it is hard to beat a deep cycle marine battery. These batteries are designed for a steady power draw over a relatively long period of time as opposed to a typical automotive battery which is designed for a heavy draw over a short period of time. I have used these batteries to power a mobile amateur radio station for up to 24 hours.

Thanks I have gas generators that's wht I am trying to stop using as I've had complaints about the noise and smell i dont want to loose my spot so I said what if I make eco energy and they said If I can then yes its accepted..
So my wind turbines small like powers the laptop small. I baught it as is never questioned it.

So I need to upscale it somehow.
I have wind solar and in have a water current running 20,000litres an hr I would like to grab advantage of the current I have available

I just cant workout what motor to use..
And at same time would like some basic understanding of what's happening lol so I can work out what's better .

So found a 3 phase ac 1400rpm with 415volt. That's on ebay 300quid. That's maths out at 0.26 1100watts kicking 500rpm delivering 142volt at 8amp

Am I correct in thinking if I got a 3000watt inverter to handle any extra rpm ofc.
This would deliver 2200watts to my workshop live off the inverter?
Any leftover charges batteries?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I just cant workout what motor to use..
And at same time would like some basic understanding of what's happening lol so I can work out what's better .

So found a 3 phase ac 1400rpm with 415volt. That's on ebay 300quid. That's maths out at 0.26 1100watts kicking 500rpm delivering 142volt at 8amp
From that I get that you are thinking a motor will generate electricity. That may happen if you modify the motor, putting permanent magnets in the rotor,etc. But then what will drive the motor. Motors by themselves won't generate electricity.

Chris65536

Joined Nov 11, 2019
I'm doing my research and I'm hitting a wall in cant get past
I cant edit title for some reason wind and water lol. I have a water stream
Mod: Edited Title.E

I'm trying to supply my workshop in the woods with electric . My current wind turbine isn't upto power I need to go bigger

My workshop is powering 1500watts constantly 24/7 for my kiln room security computer and cold meat room.
I think your starting point should be to calculate how much potential power your stream can provide. This is related to the altitude drop and the flow rate. You cannot just put a "paddle wheel" on the surface of the stream, like I once saw on some reality show! You'd need to build a dam at some point upstream, and run a pipe down to your water turbine. I think 1500W is quite a lot for a small stream, but I haven't done the math. The more vertical drop, the better.

Drg88

Joined Nov 10, 2019
Thankyou. Yeah I plan to power it from water current in two ways
I divert 20.000 litres per hour already so was trying to use it.
I power 2 pumps 135watts from batteries already I can do more if needed but where they are situated I have the ability to drop the 20.000 litres from 1m height.
Then on entering my wheel current is dragged under pulling the wheel.

I planned on using a gear system running a chain around a big wheel and tensioner with 2 wheels underneath onto the motor to Increase rpm delivered

Chris65536

Joined Nov 11, 2019
From my calculations, water falling 1 meter at 20000 liters/hour is only about 54W of power. And that's the theoretical maximum. You'll get less after conversion losses.

Drg88

Joined Nov 10, 2019
I've seen some extremely promising gearing techniques and chain systems one of which 1.139 seems insanely good

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
I'd suggest another web forum: https://www.fieldlines.com/ .

They're primarily devoted alternative energy sources including wind, solar and, of course, hydro. There are plenty of experienced members there that can offer first hand advice. As well there are some who have detailed projects similar to what you've described.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I've seen some extremely promising gearing techniques and chain systems one of which 1.139 seems insanely good
And like all conversions of energy there are loses, Some bigger than others.

And you still haven't explained how a motor, that you keep mentioning, is going to produce the electric your expecting.

Drg88

Joined Nov 10, 2019

3kw here running 24years. 3kw x2 gives me 6kw. Which works out to around the target I need to run my shop

Chris65536

Joined Nov 11, 2019
3kw here running 24years. 3kw x2 gives me 6kw. Which works out to around the target I need to run my shop
LOL, I don't believe the video. The water wheel ends up spinning faster than the water was coming out of the hose. The generator is just being used as a motor. And RPM is not power. Consider the torque!