Wind direction and diodes

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That is the way the wind vane points, so sailors can distinguish true and apparent wind directions. This is handy when sailing, determining offset for gunnery fire control. and doing aircraft operations.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
What's interesting about that article is the insignificance of the East wind comparative to the North, South and West winds:

Of the four chief Anemoi, Boreas was the north wind and bringer of cold winter air, Notus was the south wind and bringer of the storms of late summer and autumn, and Zephyrus was the west wind and bringer of light spring and early summer breezes; Eurus, the east wind, was not associated with any of the three Greek seasons, and is the only one of these four Anemoi not mentioned in Hesiod's Theogony or in the Orphic Hymns.
Now I wonder if there is a logical/practical reason for this?

Dave

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
What's interesting about that article is the insignificance of the East wind comparative to the North, South and West winds:

Now I wonder if there is a logical/practical reason for this?

Dave

I suppose since the Greeks only had three seasons, they had to throw out one of the gods. :D

Eric the Viking

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I suppose since the Greeks only had three seasons, they had to throw out one of the gods. :D

Eric the Viking
By the way, in Fairbanks, we have four distinct seasons: Early winter, Mid-winter, Late winter, and Next winter. :D