Win10 Clone

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I have a Win10 DeskTop System with a 1. TB Hard Drive.

I also have a 1. TB USB Hard Drive.

Every now and then I make a Win10 System Image onto My 1. TB USB Hard Drive.

And yes I do make the Recovery Disc so if I ever have to Recover My Win10 System Image from My 1. TB USB Hard Drive I can Boot to the CD ROM Drive to get into My 1. TB USB Hard Drive.

But does Win10 have a Clone?

So if My Win10 System goes Down I just have to Install the 1. TB Hard Drive with the Clone and ReBoot My System.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

We are using Clonezilla live for making clones of systems:
https://clonezilla.org/

Features:
  • Many File systems are supported: (1) ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, xfs, jfs, btrfs, f2fs and nilfs2 of GNU/Linux, (2) FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS of MS Windows, (3) HFS+ of Mac OS, (4) UFS of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, (5) minix of Minix, and (6) VMFS3 and VMFS5 of VMWare ESX. Therefore you can clone GNU/Linux, MS windows, Intel-based Mac OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Minix, VMWare ESX and Chrome OS/Chromium OS, no matter it's 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86-64) OS. For these file systems, only used blocks in partition are saved and restored by Partclone. For unsupported file system, sector-to-sector copy is done by dd in Clonezilla.
  • LVM2 (LVM version 1 is not) under GNU/Linux is supported.
  • Boot loader, including grub (version 1 and version 2) and syslinux, could be reinstalled.
  • Both MBR and GPT partition formats of hard drive are supported. Clonezilla live also can be booted on a BIOS or uEFI machine.
  • Unattended mode is supported. Almost all steps can be done via commands and options. You can also use a lot of boot parameters to customize your own imaging and cloning.
  • One image restoring to multiple local devices is supported.
  • Image could be encrypted. This is done with ecryptfs, a POSIX-compliant enterprise cryptographic stacked filesystem.
  • Multicast is supported in Clonezilla SE, which is suitable for massive clone. You can also remotely use it to save or restore a bunch of computers if PXE and Wake-on-LAN are supported in your clients.
  • Bittorrent (BT) is supported in Clonezilla lite server, which is suitable for massive deployment. The job for BT mode is done by Ezio.
  • The image file can be on local disk, ssh server, samba server, NFS server or WebDAV server.
  • AES-256 encryption could be used to secures data access, storage and transfer.
  • Based on Partclone (default), Partimage (optional), ntfsclone (optional), or dd to image or clone a partition. However, Clonezilla, containing some other programs, can save and restore not only partitions, but also a whole disk.
  • By using another free software drbl-winroll, which is also developed by us, the hostname, group, and SID of cloned MS windows machine can be automatically changed.

Bertus

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
But does Win10 have a Clone?
So if My Win10 System goes Down I just have to Install the 1. TB Hard Drive with the Clone and ReBoot My System.
I'm not sure what you mean.
But you can buy disk cloning software that will allow you to make a bootable copy of your windows system disk to another disk.
I used to do this with VMware. I don't know the name of any free software that does this.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Thanks for all the help.

One thing about the CloneZilla Menu I need help to Understand?

I See in Videos it will Ask what Type of Clone You want to Make?

Device To Device or Device To Image?

Like I Say I have a 1. TB Hard Drive and I want to Clone it to another 1. TB Hard Drive.
So if anything happens to My System Hard Drive I can just take out the Bad Hard Drive and Plug in the Clone Hard Drive and Boat Up.

So am I Right I would not Select Device To Image because You have to put a New Blank Hard Drive in and Recover the Image to the New Hard Drive?

And because I want to be able to just put the Clone Hard Drive in and Boat Up I would Select Device To Device?

Or am I not Understanding how this works?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Am I Right in Clonezilla live I Select Device To Device for the Clone Type I want to Make if I want the Clone Hard Drive to be able to just Plug In?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Am I Right if I want to Make a Clone that I can just Install the Hard Drive if My System goes down I Select Device To Device?

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
You can clone disk to disk and the second disk will be bootable if the first one fails. However, Win10 does NOT like identical drives to be running online at the same time, so clone the disk and remove the clone drive and put away for safe keeping.
That said, if you have a bootable Clonezilla USB stick, you can clone your drive to an image file, on any device, and restore that image using the Clonezilla boot USB, to a new drive, even if it is bigger.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I just got CloneZilla and it was a Zip Folder.

Inside of it is all these Files and Folders.

When I got this Years Ago it was 1. ISO File and I had to Burn the Program to a Disc.

I See No ISO File so do I just Copy every File to a Disc?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
If I Copy all the Files to a Blank CD can I not use this to Boot into CloneZilla Live?

Or do I need a CloneZilla Live ISO File?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Thanks to everybody on this Site for the Time and help.

I am going to Make a Clone of My Hard Drive to the same Type of Hard Drive that is USB.

But this Hard Drive does not Open after I Plug the USB Cable in.

I Know why because the Hard Drive is not Initialized.

I just want to Know do I have to Initialize the Hard Drive for CloneZilla to See it to let Me put the Clone on this Drive?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Like I Say after I Plug My USB Hard Drive into My Win10 System it does not Open.

I Know this is because the Hard Drive is not Initialized and Formatted.

Am I not Right I do not have to have the USB Hard Drive Initialized to have CloneZilla put the Clone on it?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The system needs to know it must boot from the USB stick.
Also the USB stick must have the active attribute.

Bertus

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I will be Running CloneZilla from a CD.

The Hard Drive I will put the Clone of My System on is a Hard Drive I have in a USB Box.

I just want to Know do I have to Initialize the Hard Drive in the USB Box First?

It is New and I did not even Format it.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Clonezilla should initialize the drive when it clones it (I think).
Otherwise, initialize it via Disk Management, and then right click on the disk icon on the left and you should have an initialize option.
There may be some issues if the drive was used by a different operating system like MacOS or Linux however.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Thank You all for the help.

I want to Ask about how to Read My BIOS Settings?

Under the Boot Tab I See Secure Boot.

To the Right of this it Says Disabled.

Is this Telling Me this is Disabled?

I Ask because I Know if some Program Menus Say Disabled it is Telling You to Click it to Disable it.

How does this work in the BIOS?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I just used CloneZillaLive to Make a Clone of My Win10 System and I put the Clone File on My USB Hard Drive.

Now if My System Hard Drive goes Down I Buy a New Hard Drive and Install it in My System.

Then I Plug My USB Hard Drive into My System to Recover the Clone.

So I would Thing I would Boot from My same CloneZillaLive DC again.

But after I Boot into My CloneZillaLive CD I do not See Recover Clone or anything like this.

What am I not Understanding?