Will this circuit work when i hook up a battery

Ylli

Joined Nov 13, 2015
Can you give us a part number on that LED? Would be very helpful.

After we can confirm you have the LED hooked up using the correct terminals and polarity we can move on to the switch.

Are you sure you are using the correct terminals on the switch? A manufacturer and part number on this would also be helpful.

Connect your voltmeter across the 150 ohm resistor. What voltage do you read before pushing the button? What is the voltage when the button is depressed?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Fluorescent? Like tonic water perhaps? Which specifically flouresces to UV light. Easily obtainable rather than sone dyes.
Yes but have you ever tried it? It's kind of wimpy. I'm sure some brands have more quinine than others but the ones of seen were a little disappointing. Would it work for our TS? Yeah, probably. Then he can add lime and gin and celebrate. :p

An ammeter in series with the LED would also be a sign. No current = no light.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Yes but have you ever tried it? It's kind of wimpy. I'm sure some brands have more quinine than others but the ones of seen were a little disappointing. Would it work for our TS? Yeah, probably. Then he can add lime and gin and celebrate. :p

An ammeter in series with the LED would also be a sign. No current = no light.
A sign that current s or is not flowing; which may be irrelevant to useful UV is being produced.

And yes, I have used the technique

polotwr

Joined Oct 26, 2016
Yes I can test it
I redid my calculations
with the LED having a forward voltage at 4.6V then i should need a 270Ω 1/4W resistor
but that is based on the minimum forward voltage
the LED is rated at 4.6-6 Vf
and at 6Vf it call for 180Ω 1/8W resistor

Am i correct in calculating for minimum forward voltage?
Can I run the LED off of a 6V power source? or stay at 9V to be above the necessary amount

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Before you worry about your voltage source, you need to sort out what is going on.

But yes, you could likely run the LED on 6V with a smaller value resistor than you need with a 6V source. If you're thinking of eliminating the resistor altogether, that's a bad idea. It might work under the right circumstances, but it puts your LED at great risk.

polotwr

Joined Oct 26, 2016
I do not want to eliminate the resistor and add the extra risk
but in my post I had put that the 2 different voltage rates were a minimum of 4.6Vf and a typical use of 6Vf
THE max is 7Vf

Should I select my resistor to use based on the minimum Vf (4.6) or the typical Vf (6)?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I apologize it is 4.6V-6V forward voltage
and it is a 1/8W resistor

I attached the data from the manufacturer
it is a UV LED
Can you provide a link to the entire document? I'm not convinced Cree even makes a UV LED.

And how sure are you that you have continuity through your circuit? Maybe you have the switch turned the wrong way. Try just the LED and your resistor.

polotwr

Joined Oct 26, 2016
what other info did you need? it wuld be easier for me to list on this format (my computer is horrible)
it is a cree PCB but the light is from a manufacturer in china

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
what other info did you need? it wuld be easier for me to list on this format (my computer is horrible)
it is a cree PCB but the light is from a manufacturer in china
I was going to look at the emission spectrum to see whether it should be visible or not. Getting that sort of info out of China is not likely.

polotwr

Joined Oct 26, 2016
Yea
I contacted my guy at the manufacturer and he said it does emit visible light and sent me a picture that for some reason i couldn't download
so yes it should emit some visible light