Why your username?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Kind friends

To the ends of encouraging some 'light' OT discussion -and- satisfaction of genuine curiosity, I offer this thread in the spirit of @cmartinez 's 'Why your avatar':)

So to start -- Re my UN: What can I say? I'm a bit of a 'math geek':cool: and Hypatia of Alexandria is frequently cited as the first mathematician (in the contemporary sense of the term)...

Hope you'll join in!

Best regards
HP:)

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
My avatar is a personal project of mine, to build an animatronic. This forum helped me build a circuit for him.

I had run a haunted house for about a decade, as a fund raiser for my children's elementary school. It was very successful (averaging $5,000/hr). So I considered developing a commercial walk-through seasonal attraction in my retirement. The animatronics were to be the foundation.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
In the very beginning, mine used to be Agustín Tomás. My curren one which I use everywhere is just a practical (?) version.

I tend to dislike those that I cannot pronounce, mine the first!, but it is too late now...

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
My avatar is a personal project of mine, to build an animatronic. This forum helped me build a circuit for him.

I had run a haunted house for about a decade, as a fund raiser for my children's elementary school. It was very successful (averaging $5,000/hr). So I considered developing a commercial walk-through seasonal attraction in my retirement. The animatronics were to be the foundation.
And still your avatar reminds me of Groucho Marx:confused:;):)

So... Do you care to share the story back of your username?:cool:

Best regards
HP:)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
In the very beginning, mine used to be Agustín Tomás. My curren one which I use everywhere is just a practical (?) version.

I tend to dislike those that I cannot pronounce, mine the first!, but it is too late now...
So.. the first two characters are your initials and the remainder describe your motorcar?

Best regards
HP:cool:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Just my middle name. It's a family thing. Respect for a long past ancestor who first came to Texas and gave his son his own name as a middle name. So my father continued it and so did I. I also gave my first son the middle name Kermit. Now I have a grandson with Kermit as his middle name.
It brings a smile of pride and contentment to my face as I think about it now.

The depiction is one of a Greek mathematician from the opening pages of an engineering tome printed a few years before the civil war. Google books is an amazing resource.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
My name is my name. My avatar is a patch I helped design to commemorate the Coast Guard's involvement in Loran from the time a young CG officer was assigned to the CNO's office to become the liaison at MIT Radiation Lab until the last U.S. loran signal was turned off in August 2010 when my old unit, Loran Station Attu Island went silent as part of the U.S.-Russian Chain.

The patch was designed by CG veterans, the Coast Guard had nothing to do with it.