Why your username?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
My name is my name. My avatar is a patch I helped design to commemorate the Coast Guard's involvement in Loran from the time a young CG officer was assigned to the CNO's office to become the liaison at MIT Radiation Lab until the last U.S. loran signal was turned off in August 2010 when my old unit, Loran Station Attu Island went silent as part of the U.S.-Russian Chain.

The patch was designed by CG veterans, the Coast Guard had nothing to do with it.
So... Your family name is Jester?;)

TTFN
HP:cool:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
So you mean you weren't with the NSA after all? --- Bang goes my Orwellian paranoia!o_O;)

Best regards
HP
I served in the Navy as a military cryptographic communications manager, operator and technician. The NSA (military branch) controls all government communications and was our direct operational commander. All operations need communications, that was my job.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
My initials plus general line of work being I have in some way always done 'Technical' or Technicians' work or basic engineering of some sort, usually without the official title since my employers could get away with paying me less, way less, without it (They usually only referred to me in such titles when dealing with customers :mad:) .

That and TCMTech fits on a license plate as TCMTEK plus the vehicle number 1 - 9 (I'm up to TCMTEK3 now.) and make sense whereas TCM Engineer shortened to 'TCMEng' would make most think I am some english major which would just annoy me at the implications. :(

Also when I first went officially self employed as a legitimate business venture I started TCM Tech Service and have used that as by basic business base since regardless of what sort of independent work I do. AS of lately I mostly just use the business name and related credentials for getting access to being able to purchase certain goods from wholesale only sources without the way too often huge middleman price gouging of buying through some other dealer entails.

For example, I recently picked up a good 1000 gallon bulk propane tank for cheap because someone stole all the brass fitting off it when it was sitting empty in some farmers yard and he scraped it because buying the new fittings would cost more then the tank was worth. ~$1200 - $1500 whereas through my wholesale source accounts they are about $250 tops. Seriously the pricing gap between full wholesale source to dealer Vs public resale value on too many items is frigging nuts. :mad:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Most people already know I was Quality Control stamp number 32 at three different corporations, purely by coincidence, so I changed that number to the shortest, easiest to type version I could think of in 30 seconds. (I never store passwords or log-ins on a computer, so I knew I'd be typing it a lot.) I don't have many photos of myself, so I had to dredge one up from 40 years ago, scan it, crop it, and post it. It's a picture of a very good day at the Grand Canyon.:)

I started out with a pic of my favorite dog and her name, but people made remarks about taking advice from a Poodle, and a Bichon is very different from a Poodle. Kind of like a, "California laid back" Poodle. Smart, fun, cuddly, but there is no such thing as a stupid, yappy, ankle snapper kind of Bichon. I just couldn't keep exposing my favorite dog to verbal abuse on the Internet.:(

So, I'm Number Twelve.:) The double-thumbing generation calls me, "hashtag one two". I think that's hilarious.:D

without the official title since my employers could get away with paying me less, way less, without it (They usually only referred to me in such titles when dealing with customers :mad:) .
My experience was the opposite. I was the senior engineer in a power supply company, but I looked like a teeny-bopper so the boss hid me in the back room and pretended (to the customers) that he knew which end of a flashlight to put batteries in.:rolleyes:

Attachments