Why was my thread moved?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That is quite simply an ignorant statement. SPICE has all the required elements in the formal definition of a programming language. It may also be a CAD system or many other things, but applying the duck test, it is also a programming language. It has syntax, it has semantics, and it implements a behavior.
My statement may not fit your overly broad definition of what constitutes a programming language but that quite simply doesn't make it ignorant.
By your definition it would seem that any program that can take a few commands is a programming language.

Does Excel fit your definition?

Here's a rather extensive list of programming languages.
There're a lot of ducks there but Spice isn't one of them.

If you want to call Spice a programming language, that's your prerogative, but I don't think many others share your opinion.
If I'm wrong I'd like to hear from them.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
My statement may not fit your overly broad definition of what constitutes a programming language but that quite simply doesn't make it ignorant.
By your definition it would seem that any program that can take a few commands is a programming language.

Does Excel fit your definition?

Here's a rather extensive list of programming languages.
There're a lot of ducks there but Spice isn't one of them.

If you want to call Spice a programming language, that's your prerogative, but I don't think many others share your opinion.
If I'm wrong I'd like to hear from them.
Your list is a list of notable programming languages. It does not claim to be exhaustive. I do believe that Excel is a programming language. You may be unaware that there is a formal definition of a programming language. If you are unaware of such things it makes your statement ignorant. All that aside, what then is your objective criteria for classifying things as either programming languages or not a programming language.

Additional point: Simulink is on your list and it can be used to simulate circuits. Is it a programming language or a CAD program?

Here is my list of "Domain Specific" Programming Languages, and whadya know: SPICE is on it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Simulation_programming_languages
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Programming_language_classification

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So it would appear that the "formal definition" of a programming language is that it means virtually any program ever written that can be modified by user commands, such as Spice allows, is a "programming language".
That seems so overly broad as to be virtually meaningless as a definition.
My though is that to be defined as a programming language it should pretty well allow the user to program the computer to do a wide variety of functions, not just a few limited ones.
Spice may allow some simple programming but I would not define that as a programming language.
But that's just my "ignorant" opinion and obviously not comparable to your supercilious one. :p

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So it would appear that the "formal definition" of a programming language is that it means virtually any program ever written that can be modified by user commands, such as Spice allows, is a "programming language".
That seems so overly broad as to be virtually meaningless as a definition.
My though is that to be defined as a programming language it should pretty well allow the user to program the computer to do a wide variety of functions, not just a few limited ones.
Spice may allow some simple programming but I would not define that as a programming language.
But that's just my "ignorant" opinion and obviously not comparable to your supercilious one. :p
So we agree to disagree. That is why they make chocolate ice cream. :p

I would argue that your definition is too narrow since I can point to any number of examples on your original list that do not satisfy the criteria of allowing "the user to program the computer to do a wide variety of functions". Two examples that come to mind are GPSS and SNOBOL. Both are certainly more limited than C or Assembly Language.

Last edited: