Why is this zener-diode snubber slow/not working?

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
For a "snubber" which is not design but diagnostic the whole approach changes.
The need for better understanding with such thing has become a real challenge.

mike__MecE

Joined Feb 20, 2022
Electronic fuel injection has been around for many years. One option might be to see what others have done. Even some high-reving two-stroke motorcycles have used it, I think. Looking at one of those circuits may be very educational.
Good point regarding fuel injection; that was also mentioned previously. I have seen a 33-36V Zener from MOSFET drain to ground used for fuel injection circuits.

I have been waiting for some capacitors and new MOSFETS to arrive because I destroyed all my SiS176LDN MOSFETs and the IRLH5030s I ordered from Newark are taking a while. Then I am going to experiment with drain-gate capacitors as @ronsimpson and @Danko have suggested.

The NID6002N discussed hereinbefore appears to be a discontinued product but I found this BV1LB085FJ-CE2:

Automotive 1ch Low Side Switch IC ■ Built-in overcurrent limiting circuit(OCP) ■ Built-in thermal shutdown circuit(TSD) ■ Built-in active clamp circuit ■ Direct control enabled from CMOS logic IC, etc.

It just arrived yesterday and I am going to test it shortly. Given the price of the MOSFETs and Zeners I was considering, it's not appreciable more expensive and seems to be very well suited to my application specs.

Attachments

mike__MecE

Joined Feb 20, 2022
I'm going to post the results of my experiments here just in case this is useful to anyone in the future or otherwise:

BV1LB085FJ-CE2 (magenta gate; yellow drain):

The problem with this one was that the current didn't seem to be exceeding 1 amp (should be 4+ amps). There was no Vgs vs Id-s curve in the datasheet but the overcurrent protection curve mislead me into thinking it would work.

1647633443885.png

FQB34N20LTM 200 V MOSFET with a 62V Zener (SZ1SMB5944BT3G) and Schottky (PMEG060T080CLPEZ) combo accross the solenoid (magenta gate; yellow drain):

This was supposed to be the 'big guns' ultra-speed high voltage Zener scenario that knocked socks off ...but I did not feel like the discharge was appreciably faster and the gate showed some sort of transient spike at solenoid turnoff.

Furthermore, I somehow managed to destroy two FQB34N20LTMs in a matter of 40 minutes, even with the 200 V D-S and avalanche ratings. I have some superpower that shorts Drains to Sources. The second one I hadn't even powered on yet - so I think I might have shorted D-S just from soldering too hot/long. I ordered 5 more to reattempt this.

1647633596552.png

Attachments