Why is there no "p" in "ammeter"?

Swaine1615

Joined Dec 24, 2011
Ok, hopefully this is a good question for a Friday afternoon. I'm really curious why we use ammeter instead of ampmeter. If I don't get a good explanation, I'm going to start my own rebel campaign to change to ampmeter. Either that or start calling voltmeters volmeters. Any takers?

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
In English, the longest possible initial cluster is three consonants, as in split /ˈsplɪt/, strudel /ˈʃtruːdəl/, strengths /ˈstrɛŋθs/, and "squirrel" /ˈskwɪrəl/, all beginning with /s/ or /ʃ/ and ending with /l/, /r/, or /w/...
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consonant_cluster

I don't know if that is the "reason" but it is an explanation. Easier to pronounce and doesn't obscure the meaning. Of course in electronics, we have "SMPS" which violates that rule, but it is not really a word; although, it is easy to pronounce if you add an "implicit" vowel. Try it without the vowel. :) You might also consider pronouncing "Joe Btfsplk" from Li'l Abner.

Swaine1615

Joined Dec 24, 2011
Hmmm, well that's more that I could find on my search. Thanks.

I'm building a lamp out of old ammeters. I was going to call it a lammeter, but then thought most people won't get it and I should probably call it a lampmeter. But then I thought people who would get lammeter will get all upset. Perhaps I'll just call it the amp-lamp.

Just for the record - "a" is a vowel.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
What's a "Lampmeter"? A meter for metering lamps?

What I want to know is why Kansas is pronounced "Can's-Ass" while Arkansas is pronounced "Our-Can-Saw"? The only difference is the AR in front of Kansas. Me? I got laughed out of school when I pronounced it "Our-Can's-Ass". I guess they weren't ready for such a forward thinker.

My dad (from Brooklyn NY) taught me about cars. Among the many parts I learned about was the RAH-DEE-ATOR and the ALT-N-ATOR. And no - he wasn't a redneck.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The linguistic explanation would go something like the following: the words "ammeter" and "voltmeter" are both examples of a portmanteuu. This is a word formed from two other words. In this case, at the point of joining, you have a "p" and an "m" sound. Double consonants can be tricky to pronounce. The "p" is a voiceless bilabial plosive or stop, and the "m" is a nasal occlusive. The transition between the two is difficult, forcing your voice to say them with a noticeable pause, as if they were two words. Doubling up on the m was the solution. The "t" on the other hand is a dental consonant and produces no difficulty in the transition to an "m".

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Speak right - you must learn. Way to measure current - the ammeter is. Use it you will - when need to know - you must.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I think one is a boy amp meter and the other is a girl amp meter.

And we're digressing again.

"Why is there no "p" in "ammeter"?" I dunno. Maybe it has good bladder control.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consonant_cluster

I don't know if that is the "reason" but it is an explanation. Easier to pronounce and doesn't obscure the meaning. Of course in electronics, we have "SMPS" which violates that rule, but it is not really a word; although, it is easy to pronounce if you add an "implicit" vowel. Try it without the vowel. :) You might also consider pronouncing "Joe Btfsplk" from Li'l Abner.
I don't see how this comes into play at all. In either case, 'ammeter' or 'ampmeter', the initial cluster is not a constant cluster at all and in neither case would there be any violation of a three-consonant max rule. ???

Originally the term was amperemeter or sometimes amperometer. But most people like frequently used terms to be simple and short. So they took the first syllable of ampere (am-pere) and tacked on meter to it. Hence, ammeter.

Even if they hadn't and had tried to make it ampmeter, it would likely have quickly become ammeter in practice because transitioning from the 'm' to the 'p' and back to the 'm' is difficult and most people would smother the 'p' anyway.