Why is LM7805 output 4.94 volt only instead of 5 volt?

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
It doesn't produce current. Current is set by "ratio" of voltage and resistance.
If your battery is capable of providing 1.5A then it has a potential to provide 1.5A but the current drawn is dependent on load.

Ohms Law

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I have another question is the capacitor exact rating 330nf and 100nf are compulsory? because i dont have with those rating...can i use anything small or larger capacitance
Those values are optimum according to the datasheet, but as you have seen, the regulator will often work without them. 100nF caps are used very often across the power pins of ICs, are not expensive, and you should get some to have on hand. One of those on the input and another on the output would be better than nothing.

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016
Pretty much any value capacitor will work as long as its not too large and small in ranges of pF.
Today finally i tested your circuit...using 9 volt battery and the output is way too far off what i've expected. It's only output 3 volt...However using 16 volt to 18 volt it does provide 5 volt...so i think 9 volt is not enough to charge a phone using the circuit

bushrat

Joined Nov 29, 2014
Today finally i tested your circuit...using 9 volt battery and the output is way too far off what i've expected. It's only output 3 volt...However using 16 volt to 18 volt it does provide 5 volt...so i think 9 volt is not enough to charge a phone using the circuit
9V battery is just 6 AAA batteries in series. it has very little current, and that's why your voltage on 7805 was low. If you connect few 9V batteries in parallel, it will work just fine.

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016
9V battery is just 6 AAA batteries in series. it has very little current, and that's why your voltage on 7805 was low. If you connect few 9V batteries in parallel, it will work just fine.
Its interesting i tested using a different cable and it is now generating 5 volt i am very happy and thank you all...my questions is answered perfectly

The small caps 0.01-0.1 uF are usually ceramic because of their higher frequency response. They need to be located close to the regulator.
They effectively compensate for the inductance of the wire or trace so there is less tendency to oscillate. These are typically called "bypass capacitors". In some cases, bypass capacitors are parallel combinations of various types of capacitors. In general, go with what the manufacturer suggests or use 0.1 uF caps on nearly all the supply pins of every IC you use.

dante_clericuzzio

Joined Mar 28, 2016