Why is it impossible?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
cpu user said:
AlexR, if you have two permanent magnets attached to two separate pivot points and such points separate the magnets and they oppose each other would there repulsion cause a rotating magnetic field?
There has to be an E&M law that would dictate why they come to a stop due to its magnetic field interactions.
The problem is the other side of the magnet.

Uni-polar magnets would allow such things to work.

But with bi-polar magnets:
As the south pole of the rotating magnet is drawn toward a north pole of the "stationary" magnet, it produces torque/rotational force. once they pass, NOW the NORTH pole on the "rotating" magnet is being drawn to the SOUTH pole of the stationary magnet. So this causes the same amount of anti-rotational force, causing the spinning device to quickly settle in a point of equilibrium between fields.

The only way to do this is to ONLY have NORTH-only stationary magnets, and SOUTH-only spindle magnets.

Uni-polar ONLY have 1 pole. ALL NORTH or ALL SOUTH. but...These dont exist(in larger than nano) yet.

Once they do, it will be trivial.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
SO, the physics of attraction force is already there, buy they typically only compute the attractive force or the repulsive force.

So after the magnets pass each other, you need to switch formulas.

Using the laws of magnetic attraction only works while 2 odd-pole magnets are facing eachother, once they pass, you cant just "decide" that you are going to ignore the "previous" magnet in the loop and "only be attracted" to the next magnet The magnet that was just "passed" will STILL be applying an attractive force, just N-S instead of S-N

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
hgmjr, I'm not ignoring anything. I know friction plays a very important role. Thanks. I just want to make sure that isn't the only reason.
That pretty well is the only reason.

These contraptions are not required to have 'perpetual motion'. They will, however, eventually slow down due to frictional and other resistive/damping/radiation losses.

Think of it this way. If you get a spherical block of cheese out into inter-galactic space and give it a spin, you will have essentially created perpetual motion. That cheese should spin for eons. No complicated magnet gauntlets required

I you replace that cheese with a magnet, it will unfortunately radiate and loose energy to that radiation. Because of this it will eventually slowdown. There are EM laws that show how varying magnetic fields radiate energy. I’ll let you look ‘em up.

Have fun!

Imdsm

Joined Feb 11, 2011
With regard to the inner rotor settling between two magnets, if you have magnets offset at certain angles and shielded in all directions but forwards, you could eliminate a magnet ever being pulled towards another, and always being pushed. Now, if you placed these at the right angles a long a length parallel with the rotor, offset around it in a circular pattern, you should be able to make it so that the inner rotor is constantly being pushed in one direction, from multiple points along the rotor and around the rotor. Whether or not the rotor can be propelled like this isn't really the debate - yes it can, easily. The mechanism will work. But there is friction which will cost some energy, and then there is the energy required to create the permanent magnets in the first place, and finally there is the problem that as soon as a load is placed onto the spinning rotor, it usually stops, because whilst you can get a speed from this mechanism, afaik, you cannot get much torque. Because of the energy required to make the magnets, it isn't really free energy, if you managed to get a small amount of power from it, if mankinds only source of power was this magnetic rotor, you wouldn't be able to make enough batteries to make any surplus energy, you'd just be losing out due to friction.

Personally, I think solar power is the way to go. Is it free energy? Yes and no. Technically it isn't because the sun will eventually run out, but that's going to happen whether we harness the power from it or not. All that power is being radiated out, if any power should grabbed, it should be that. It is the ultimate power source!

What I've said above, are my personal opinions, from what I've learnt mingling with friends who are interested in this magnetic "free" power. Some of it may be wrong, but don't flame me for it, I try to keep an open mind, but like I said, I believe in the sun > magnets!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think it would be much closer to say you don't get any torque, none. If you did that would violate the conservation of energy. The law works, and has never, ever been violated, contrary to scammers claims.

It is possible to make near frictionless bearings with magnets. In such a case any motor with even the most minor torque would spin up until it self destructed. Come to think of it, this is one of the key arguements against overunity, if it existed then you would eventually have one heck of an explosion.

Personally all the time spent trying to disprove a very stable law of nature would be better spent learning how to work with nature and its laws. This planet is awash in energy, but we harness very little of it.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I suggest that you look at the construction of various types of motors. The one thing they all have in common is the ability to rapidly change the orientation of a magnetic field. Come back when you have a basic understanding of rotating machinery. Then we can talk about things that one might construct. When you understand the nature of a permanent magnet and why the orientation of its magnetic field cannot be changed at a rate sufficient to rotate a shaft you will have your answers.

soundman

Joined Dec 27, 2010
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of Permanent-Magnetc motors on You Tube, like this one for example: Magnetic Motor - Patent DE 10 2005 059 652 A1
Some of these videos appear to be credible at first, but when you follow the threads, they start with something that looks like science but ends up in a discussion about conspiracy theories and alien interventions etc.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of Permanent-Magnetc motors on You Tube, like this one for example: Magnetic Motor - Patent DE 10 2005 059 652 A1
Some of these videos appear to be credible at first, but when you follow the threads, they start with something that looks like science but ends up in a discussion about conspiracy theories and alien interventions etc.
A YouTube video is just about the most suspect piece of evidence that one could offer. There are numerous ways to engage in trickery that are difficult to detect and impossible to duplicate. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Drawings, diagrams, schematics and test data would speak volumes. How come we never see any of that?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
This is the part that makes overunity devices so surreal. The proponents complain - in a very public place - that there is an active government program to suppress such knowledge.

Then you realize that these videos are posted in an international site where anyone in the world can see the device being demoed. The pure absurdity of this never seems to occur to the poster. Some of this bushwa has been on YouTube for years. As well, we might note, on many web sites. None of the sites nor the videos (or the scammers) seem to have been made to disappear.

Again, I give you Bugs Bunny - "What a bunch of maroons!".

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
....if you placed these at the right angles a long a length parallel with the rotor, offset around it in a circular pattern, you should be able to make it so that the inner rotor is constantly being pushed in one direction, from multiple points along the rotor and around the rotor. Whether or not the rotor can be propelled like this isn't really the debate - yes it can, easily....
Not flaming, but no, this will not work.

.... from what I've learnt mingling with friends who are interested in this magnetic "free" power....
IMHO, you need to be more discrete about with whom you mingle. These folks a filling your mind with stuff it doesn't need.

Some of it may be wrong,
Well....maybe most of it. Sorry....:(

Really, I'm not flaming you, but you should not listen to these folks. Like all the 'free energy' crowd they have not taken the time to study the science.

Baseless speculation is a wonderful thing though.;)

Last edited:

cpu_user

Joined Jan 16, 2011
I was of the understanding that a magnet motor had been built, but it would only run very small loads, any attempt to get more than 50 watts work out of it resulted in a stalled rotor. The result of thousands of dollars of machining and building for a 'toy' motor.
There is no way to control power in a magnet motor, no 'surge' current can flow to drive sudden heavy loads. The stall torque is apparently anything which resists the motor. Why bother?
I thought my question was dead for awhile now. I think the above is really the best answer for me. With a conventional electric motor as the load changes(thus slowing the rotor) the current can increase to accommodate the load change. A purely permanent magnet motor has no way of doing this.

Kermit2, your right, what a waste.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There still has to be a power source, otherwise you are talking perpetual motion. Stalled implies it worked to begin with. No power source, no work. This is also a consequence of the Law of Conservation, no perpetual motion. Nowdays bearings can be very good, and a little energy input can go a very long way, but sooner or later it will spin down.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Bill,

Unfortunately, I think you're wasting your breath. I know its well meant but there are always those that will see and hear what they want from the noise around them. They don't let facts, objectivity or even reason cloud their minds.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
They don't let facts, objectivity or even reason cloud their minds.
We have, indeed, noticed this tendency. That's why those two sticky notes exist in the Off Topic area - there is nothing to gain by argument or instruction.