why do you use a dsPic to make a boost converter?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

That would be part of the total design so you dont need a separate chip just to do the boost.
The total design would be much more for a much more important purpose.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hi guys

I am reading a dsPIC datasheet, it suggests one of the application is a boost converter. But in what situation do you need a dsPIC to drive a boost /buck converter? Isn't it a lot easier to just but a chip to do just that?

Thanks guys!

PS datasheet:
http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/PIC24EP128GP204

View attachment 114268

With the DSPic, you get to drive the digital display, (set voltage, current limit, actual DC voltage, actual RMS voltage, actual current, internal temperature), what a fun project.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I am reading a dsPIC datasheet, it suggests one of the application is a boost converter. But in what situation do you need a dsPIC to drive a boost /buck converter? Isn't it a lot easier to just but a chip to do just that?
Sure, if implementing a boost converter is the only thing you need to do; in that case, a dedicated switching regulator chip obviously makes more sense. But if you also need to do communication, measurement and control, computation, user interface and various complex logic functions, the resources on the dsPIC are useful.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
In any situation where you need software control of the converter. It will probably be a standard feature in the future.

Some chips have quite a symphony of function peripherals now.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I might point out that the dsPIC IS a chip.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I for one would go the way of a dedicated chip, maybe turned on and off by the dsPic if need be. One project I did was a BLDC motor controller with the current limit run by the dsPic. It is all ok as long as everything works, but a code bug can kill the control and smoke results. Unless you really need the processor to control the voltage directly, and that is an interesting project in itself, leave the power supply control to a dedicated chip I'd say. Although in a boost topology, you will not get over voltage problems if the dsPic hangs so it is possibly not so bad.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
There seems to be an assumption that the dsPIC will be the very first choice for some power supply. A better point is given a dsPIC based design can it also control some power conversion.

Microchip does this very thing inside every PICKit I and II to make the programming voltage.

Last edited:

Bhargav Jani

Joined May 20, 2016
Hello All,

Replying to this thread, as I found what I intended to ask sounds somewhat similar to the above posts.

I am currently working on power supply design for Automotive. I wish to use dsPIC30F4011. (to control the SMPS IC). The other post regulator IC does not have a FB pin, so I am using a current DAC (Lm10011V) to control the output voltage of my Post regulator .

My question is , what kind of supply circuit should I design to supply the dsPIC.

Attached is the block diagram of the system ...

Suggestions welcome !

Attachments