Who can stop ix? Vs can?

KevinEamon

Joined Apr 9, 2017
unknowni.jpg
Ok I think I might just be getting confused because the Vs is in front of the 5ohm, rather than behind it. Doesn't make a difference does it? Like I could easily switch those around, could I? Relative to the V1 it's the same, right?

What about this current in green, designated i.
Is that the same as Ix? Ix is given in the question. What I mean to ask is, is ix coming to that node at V1? no matter what. Or is the current coming from that right hand branch, is that current infact:-
ix + (Vs/5ohm)?

Or maybe
Vs/5ohm = -ix?

Last edited:

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
For this circuit Ix must be equal to I_green the KCL must hold (current in = current out for the same branch).
Ix = I_green = (Vc - (V1 + Vs))/5Ω.
Or if we connected the current source between Vc and ground then Ix = I_green = Icurrent_source.
Ok I think I might just be getting confused because the Vs is in front of the 5ohm, rather than behind it. Doesn't make a difference does it? Like I could easily switch those around, could I? Relative to the V1 it's the same, right?
Yes, you can swap them.

KevinEamon

Joined Apr 9, 2017
Thanks Jony. Thats what I was thinking. Oops I forgot to label the current source - 2ix. Don't tell Wbahm or I may get beaten :) haha.