Which PWM to use to slow down an RC car?

Peakl

Joined Dec 21, 2023
Hi there,
I've a cheap RC car with full throttle speed only.
I don't know which one is the correct PWM motor speed controller. The car is powered with 3,6V (3xAA) and there are different low voltages controllers out there, for example the "CC 1803BK" DC 1.8V 3V 5V 6V 12V 2A PWM Motor Speed Controller will be good? o do i need look for lower voltages?

Last edited:

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
Welcome to AAC.

In order to make a recommendation we need to know the specs of your RC car. You shared a voltage of 3.6V but you also state it's three AA batteries. That's 4.5V. If you want to try running the car on a lower voltage you can bypass one battery with a foil tape covering both ends of one of the batteries. Just be sure to insulate the battery terminals from the foil so you don't short the battery out. If you have an old battery, one that is already close to dying you can try substituting that in for a new battery. But all this is just guesswork. Until we know more about the toy there's not much we can do. Nor do we know how deep you want to go into any modifications on this toy.

Peakl

Joined Dec 21, 2023
Welcome to AAC.

In order to make a recommendation we need to know the specs of your RC car. You shared a voltage of 3.6V but you also state it's three AA batteries. That's 4.5V. If you want to try running the car on a lower voltage you can bypass one battery with a foil tape covering both ends of one of the batteries. Just be sure to insulate the battery terminals from the foil so you don't short the battery out. If you have an old battery, one that is already close to dying you can try substituting that in for a new battery. But all this is just guesswork. Until we know more about the toy there's not much we can do. Nor do we know how deep you want to go into any modifications on this toy.
Doesn't start with the foil tape:( 1.2V each (ikea ladda akku). I want to modificate it with pwm motor controller. I've read adding resistor generates heat so only the pwm motor controller left.

Thanks!

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
We need to know the details of your R/C transmitter and receiver. Does the transmitter have the capability of proportional control on the throttle stick? If not, You have an awful lot of work ahead to modify the whole system. If you just want to reduce the speed, without having it variable, just add one or two diodes in series with the motor. Make sure they have high enough current spec for the motor.

Last edited: