Which Linux Editor should I use ?

naseeam

Joined Jan 4, 2017
My large 'C' language code is in Linux Server.

Which Linux Editor should I use to edit and navigate my source code?

I need to use powerful editor that has powerful source code navigation. For example, from function call, one keystroke will navigate to function definition. From 'C' source file, one keystroke will open the include file.

There should be comprehensive information to learn the editor from book or other sources.

From windows computer, I telnet to Linux Server.

The folder structure that contains my source code is in my home directory.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I need to use powerful editor that has powerful source code navigation. For example, from function call, one keystroke will navigate to function definition. From 'C' source file, one keystroke will open the include file.
Methinks thou doth ask for too much...

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
My large 'C' language code is in Linux Server.

Which Linux Editor should I use to edit and navigate my source code?

There should be comprehensive information to learn the editor from book or other sources.

From windows computer, I telnet to Linux Server.

The folder structure that contains my source code is in my home directory.
Stop! Put down that telnet client and step away!

You are really, really doing it wrong. The year is 2018 ... no one telnets anymore. Too many security issues and -- based upon your comment -- revision control and tracking changes is a nightmare.

Learn to use Git. It is a very easy to use "distributed" version control manager, and allows you to keep complete copies of your projects (including revisions and branches) in multiple locations. You can edit your source code locally (internet not required except for "pushing" and "pulling" changes) using your favorite Windows (or whatever OS) editor. Changes are automatically tracked across multiple machines, and you can use SSH (secure!) to communicate your changes with the master server.

Git will run under Windows via Cygwin.

naseeam

Joined Jan 4, 2017

You are really, really doing it wrong. The year is 2018 ... no one telnets anymore. Too many security issues and -- based upon your comment -- revision control and tracking changes is a nightmare.

Learn to use Git. It is a very easy to use "distributed" version control manager, and allows you to keep complete copies of your projects (including revisions and branches) in multiple locations. You can edit your source code locally (internet not required except for "pushing" and "pulling" changes) using your favorite Windows (or whatever OS) editor. Changes are automatically tracked across multiple machines, and you can use SSH (secure!) to communicate your changes with the master server.

My company doesn't use Git. I am thinking about using Vim but I need to know if it's possible to create eclipse project in Vim. My VIM version is 7.4.629.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
I'm a big vi fan, haven't used vim much but it's a superset of vi so it should be more capable. Emacs used to be the goto editor when I did a lot of Unix work, but I think what you're looking for is an IDE (integrated development environment).

Dump telnet and use ssh. And if you want a proper terminal then run an xterm server on your windows PC, such as cygwin. Then you can run an IDE like Eclipse on the Linux machine, but see the windows on your Windows machine. Some co-workers use notepad++ on their windows machine to edit files on the remote unix machine, it can be configured to automatically upload modified files when you save them locally. But that's not needed if you run an IDE directly on the Linux machine.