Which is better for electrical engineering?

Exjay

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Hello people. I am in quandary right now. I have been given admission to two schools: Northern Illinois University and Lamar university. I want to go to the school that is better in terms of engaging their students. So please who can choose which one is the best among the two?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello people. I am in quandary right now. I have been given admission to two schools: Northern Illinois University and Lamar university. I want to go to the school that is better in terms of engaging their students. So please who can choose which one is the best among the two?
Very few of us are likely to be familiar with either or both of those institutions. Your best bet is to talk to people who are actually going there right now. A second-best alternative is to talk to some alumni.

Exjay

Joined Nov 19, 2015
Very few of us are likely to be familiar with either or both of those institutions. Your best bet is to talk to people who are actually going there right now. A second-best alternative is to talk to some alumni.
I am an international student, so I don't know any alumni.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
So both of these schools have very small EE departments, of similar size. Both are ABET accredited.

The biggest difference I can see is that NIU has a decently sized semiconductor fabrication clean room, which is a big plus if you are interested in that area.

Otherwise is comes down to this: look through the faculty list and read about the research areas of the faculty members. Make a list of the faulty of each college that you find interesting based on this. Check them out on Google Scholar and read some of their papers, take notes.

Email the most interesting at each school. Explain you are trying to decide where to attend and that you found their research interesting. Be specific, ask questions about the papers you read, real questions about clarifying things.

How the faculty responds to you as a potential student, and how they engage with you on their research will help you decide which is going to be better for you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What do you mean by "engaging their students" and what are the criteria by which you would judge one better than the other?