Which electrical signal is better for industry among the following? Why?

Ahs392

Joined Oct 15, 2023
Which electrical signal is better for industry among the following? Why?
1. 0 to 10 volts signal.
2. 0 to 20 milliamps signal.
3. 4 to 20 millimeters signal.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
Since this is your homework, please post your answers and reasoning, so that we can give relevant advice. We don't do homework for you.

Pyrex

Joined Feb 16, 2022
4 to 20 milliamps. First of all, it's a current signal, so a bad contact do not affect it. Second, you can check circuit continuity ,simply checking the current, if below 4 mA, circuit is broken. A cheap pocket size DC clamp milliammeters are available on the market

Ahs392

Joined Oct 15, 2023
For industry, it is better to use a 0 to 10-volt signal. The reasons for this choice are as follows:

1. Power: A 0 to 10-volt signal has more power compared to a 0 to 20 milliampere or 4 to 20 millimeter signal. This means it has greater feeding capability and wider coverage in industrial systems.

2. Ease of use: The 0 to 10-volt signal is compatible with many sensors and industrial devices, making it widely used. This means that choosing this signal for interaction with other devices and sensors in the industry is very easy.

3. Data transmission: The 0 to 10-volt signal is commonly used for data transmission in the industry. This means that choosing this signal facilitates communication and data exchange between different devices and systems in the industry.

In general, the 0 to 10-volt signal is better for industry due to technical and practical reasons.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A 0 to 10-volt signal has more power compared to a 0 to 20 milliampere or 4 to 20 milliampere signal
(^^edited)
1) You might want to rethink that. Neither current nor voltage on its own has power.
2) and 3) All three types of signal can be easily used in industry for data transmission.

Unfortunately the question you have been set is unduly vague and could have been draughted better.

Ahs392

Joined Oct 15, 2023
What does 'better for industry' mean?
(^^edited)
1) You might want to rethink that. Neither current nor voltage on its own has power.
2) and 3) All three types of signal can be easily used in industry for data transmission.

Unfortunately the question you have been set is unduly vague and could have been draughted better.
I agree with you as well. thank you.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
My guess is that the purpose of this question is to find out if you read the textbook or payed attention in his lecture. I don’t think you are being asked to come up with your own answer, rather, you are being asked to give back the answer you have been given.

Once I found this out in school, my grades took a jump up in essay questions. The prof never really wanted you to give your own opinion, he wanted you to give back his opinion.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Its a bit of a loaded question, both 1 & 3 are useful & each have their place, and are dependent on the actual application.
But you can pretty much rule out 2 altogether.

Ahs392

Joined Oct 15, 2023
My guess is that the purpose of this question is to find out if you read the textbook or payed attention in his lecture. I don’t think you are being asked to come up with your own answer, rather, you are being asked to give back the answer you have been given.

Once I found this out in school, my grades took a jump up in essay questions. The prof never really wanted you to give your own opinion, he wanted you to give back his opinion.
That’s exactly what I think.
thank you.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

While I have, sadly, little doubt that this is all too often the case, my experience has been thankfully different with extremely few exceptions. I've never been one to memorize and regurgitate stock answers, probably has a lot to do with the fact that my memory just isn't good enough to take that approach. So I've always had to try to understand the underlying concepts and then answer questions extemporaneously. As a student, I almost always found this to be well received, even when I overlooked aspects of the stock answer that were expected. As a teacher, I quickly learned to appreciate the relatively handful of responses that took this approach because it usually is very clear that the person is actually thinking about the question and responding with something based on their comprehension, including the holes. I much preferred that to a bunch of pablum regurgitated without any thought and, to that end, I go to some effort to make my harder questions ones which don't have a stock answer.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Unfortunately, modern tests/examinations often use the multi-choice question approach and students get marked down for failure to give a stock answer. There may be no option on a test paper for a student to give an explanation of their choice, and 'none-of-the-above' is rarely an acceptable answer.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The question should have asked what are the advantages and disadvantages of each. Not which is better.
Agreed. This is one of my pet peeves -- asking which is "best" without giving any thought to the fact that "best" only has meaning when there is some metric upon which to judge which of two choices is "better".