Which controller is suitable for business in robotics

ir_tronik

Joined Jul 12, 2017
I want to start a robotic business for real world applications, means an actual reliable product. But, I am confused which microcontroller is suitable either PIC or any other controller. And, PIC are still relevant or not in these days, as we have arduino. Thanks.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I've been working with the single-cycle latest generation of 8051 MCUs, and I'm quite pleased with them. But they only work with 8-bit instructions. As MrChips just recommended, ARM is a very suitable MCU for your application. Another possibility would be AVR.

I suggest you visit ATMEL's home page, and do some reading on this subject.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If you are starting a business and focusing on design issues then IMHO you are putting the cart before the horse. You should be focused on much bigger issues at this stage like who are your customers and where is your funding coming from. Do you have a business plan yet? If not I rest my case.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/...-this-year-as-the-list-of-dead-startups-grows

Even with all the right stuff many businesses flame out quickly.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I want to start a robotic business for real world applications, means an actual reliable product. But, I am confused which microcontroller is suitable either PIC or any other controller. And, PIC are still relevant or not in these days, as we have arduino. Thanks.
If you have the budget for it, my first choice is a motion card such as Galil Motion, there are many Robot examples on their web site.
If wishing to use a Picmicro there is a app note for a servo pendulum demo AN964 with code in assembly and C.
Max.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We have no idea what kind of robots the TS intends to develop.

Is it a robotic arm for automotive manufacturing?

Is it a Roomba floor sweeper?

Is it a quadcopter?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Once you get into Industrial Robots then this typically requires up to 6 axis control, all of which have to be interpolated i.e. Joint interpolated motion where the joint taking longest time governs the motion of the other joints which are slowed in proportion so that all joints complete all moves simultaneously.
Max.

ir_tronik

Joined Jul 12, 2017
I want to start a business on autonomous mobile robot, such as the Robi and drone sized robot. not like the industrial robot. Yes, I already have business plan and doing some reading about the technical. Im just asking for suggestion and opinion from this forum..

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I want to start a business on autonomous mobile robot, such as the Robi and drone sized robot. not like the industrial robot. Yes, I already have business plan and doing some reading about the technical. Im just asking for suggestion and opinion from this forum..
What are your programming skills?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Picking a processor for a design is one of the least important aspects. It is a minor detail. Far more important are the requirements for the device. These need to be clear and concise. In this way a junior engineer can readily determine which devices cannot meet the requirements, which ones can certainly meet the requirements, and which ones may or may not. IMHO you should almost always go for a device which can certainly meet the requirements even if it costs more in the short term. Once you have a working product you can always cost reduce it.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm getting the feeling that the TS/OP is not interested in good advice; he just wants an answer to his question. Unfortunately I don' think there is an answer to the original question that was posed. In particular processors that are still on the market are quite likely to be relevant.