Where to manufacture custom design auto transformer

Md Yusuf

Joined Jul 6, 2021
Hi, I am doing one of the project in which there is a need of two custom design step up auto transformer to boost the rectified DC voltage from 160Volt DC to around 30kV that will be done by boosting voltage two times from 160Volt DC to 7.5kV then 7.5kV to around 30kV .
So for that I am not able to find any manufacturer which can design the transformer in these ratings therefore I need help. So if someone knows that any manufacturer who can design the transformer in these ratings please let me know or if someone wants to give any other alternate solution that would also be good thank you.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Part of the problem as I see it would be while you mention voltages, there is no mention of load current or in the world of transformers KVA ratings. You seem to want a transformer with multi taps and not an autotransformer.

Typically your 160 VDC would drive and inverter to get to AC. The size of the inverter will depend on how much power, It's all in the details. What frequency AC do you want? That plays a large part in any transformer design? Every detail is important.

Ron

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Years ago nearly every home had a 20 to 30kV power supply in it. Most of the high voltage transformer engineers have retired or are dead. The winding machines were melted down. Parts are hard to find.

More information please.

Md Yusuf

Joined Jul 6, 2021
Part of the problem as I see it would be while you mention voltages, there is no mention of load current or in the world of transformers KVA ratings. You seem to want a transformer with multi taps and not an autotransformer.

Typically your 160 VDC would drive and inverter to get to AC. The size of the inverter will depend on how much power, It's all in the details. What frequency AC do you want? That plays a large part in any transformer design? Every detail is important.

Ron
So the power is around 300Watt and the input frequency is 50-60Hz and the load current would be around 21 Amp by the way thanks for reply if someone more details about this project please let me know

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
So the power is around 300Watt and the input frequency is 50-60Hz and the load current would be around 21 Amp by the way thanks for reply if someone more details about this project please let me know
OK you have an input of 160 VDC and an output of 30 KV. With a load current of about 21 amps. Leaving a margin of overhead let's call it 25 amps. Now you have a 30 KV 25 amp output. You are looking at a 750 KVA transformer. Transformers like this are found in power substations. You are looking at a huge transformer or transformers costing tens of thousands of US Dollars. This not to mention the primary current would be about 4,688 amps. When we take a low voltage and make it high voltage there is a trade off between voltage and current. The bus work and insulators alone would be a project.

This may go better if in detail you explain your project and goals because when we start looking at the numbers this is no simple undertaking.

Ron

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,
300 Watts at 21 Amp is only possible with about 14 Volts.

Bertus

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Why 160VDC? Why not 110vac or 220vac. If you are using 50/60hz then you should start out with AC and make it easy. In front of my house (not actually my picture) there is a transformer like this. On the transformer there are numbers. I have used transformers like in broadcast transmitters. I remember some being in the 12kV range and some in the 7kv range. I have three 100A 120V two phase connections. I do not know the KW numbers. When you get the input/output current and the wattage worked out, there are transformers that will do the job. What I pictures if probably a 10 to 20kw transformer.

We need to find out if you want 300W or 750kw. There is a big difference.
1638541593911.png

Md Yusuf

Joined Jul 6, 2021
No I don't need this kind of transformer rather I need PCB mounted small transformer to achieve that much of voltage .Let me explain the project son the project is that I am designing xenon power supply in that I will need around 30kV voltage to ignite the xenon lamp after ignition there will be boost voltage required which is around 110-125 Volt DC to maintain the ionization then there will be 20-40 Volt DC required so that is the project and the problem is that I do not have that much of voltage to ignite the lamp thank you.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
ShortBus found the answer. Search the internet for "trigger coil transformer". You need the smallest amount of power but high voltage to get you project started.
You will find some results are a complete working circuit and in this picture this is just the transformer with out other parts. So watch out.
1638714733329.png

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Where id the 21 amps come from? :)

If you are in the US or even Canada I still have an old Radio Shack 4 KV trigger coil transformer like pictured above. Yours for the asking. I also have a Xenon flash tube that goes with it. Stuff must be over 30 years old.

Ron

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Years ago nearly every home had a 20 to 30kV power supply in it. Most of the high voltage transformer engineers have retired or are dead. The winding machines were melted down. Parts are hard to find.

More information please.
What a somber postapocalyptic image, Ron.

And glaciers started to melt...