Where to find a low cost place for custom plastic enclosures?

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hi,
Briefly, I'm working on my own 3D model of a box/enclosure for my project, it will be around 5"X5"X2", and I'm looking for a low cost and good quality place for custom plastic enclosures. Any ideas or thoughts please!
PS: I'm aware of the 3D printers, but I'm anticipating making hundreds/thousands enclosures for my project.
Thanks

Last edited:

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Low Cost and Custom do not usually go together!
Max.
if volume is involved, molding is a way to go but few hundreds (or thousands) may not be large enough to get you to price point you may expect....
Your premise is flawed. Far better to find a less than optimal solution off the shelf. If you build few, and sell a few, then you can consider the effects of cost reduction and economies of scale.
So, in your opinion, any places that you know of with reasonable costs that you may suggest/recommend?

Lumenosity

Joined Mar 1, 2017
You can make hundreds (or thousands) with 3D printers.

But if you want better, most professional enclosures I was able to find 568,000 possibilities by Googling the following term.....

custom plastic enclosures

Good luck

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017

But if you want better, most professional enclosures I was able to find 568,000 possibilities by Googling the following term.....

Good luck
I was already on Google and got more results than you've got (611,000 results ) and guess what, it got me more lost! :) :D.
I'm posting my question here because it saves me a LOT of time, also I will have more professional people and experts that can enlighten me way faster and are more authentic than just googling! ;):cool::):D
So, you mentioned that I can do 3D printing in large quantities; you literally mean thousands? Where? What about the quality? Cost?

Last edited:

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hello,

How custom must it be?
Have a look here for some ideas:
https://www.electronicase-us.com/
https://www.envplastics.com/

Bertus

Good luck
You see Lumenosity! :D . Read Bertus' answer! :) That's what am talking about! That's why we love this website and escape from Google! The Links that Bertsu provided are AWESOME!;)

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hello,

How custom must it be?

Bertus
The cusomization am talking about here is almost a basic one. Just a small two pieces box (box + lid) with a few holes for screws! I think they have something similar to what am looking for in the first link. Thanks a lot bertus.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Most of the well-known enclosure manufacturers offer customization such as drilling and milling to their standard products. I know I've seen this option offered on Hammond's website, for example.

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Most of the well-known enclosure manufacturers offer customization such as drilling and milling to their standard products. I know I've seen this option offered on Hammond's website, for example.
Cool and thats what I wasnt aware of until bertus spoke about it. Thanks!

nornandxor

Joined Dec 11, 2017
Hammond did some customization on NEMA 4 metal cases a long time ago for me. I didn't have to sell the farm to get it done.
Give them a call. You never know what is available unless you ask.
I just gave them a call and unfortunately they don't manufacture small sizes boxes. Thanks though.

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
Proto Labs, Inc., 5540 Pioneer Creek Dr., Maple Plain, MN 55359 USA 877.479.3680
keep sending emails. I haven't used them but I would check with them if I needed plastic parts.

https://www.protolabs.com/
Speed your product to market with automated quoting from Proto Labs. Within hours of uploading a 3D CAD model, you’ll get an interactive quote that includes.
Configurable pricing to adjust your specifications like material selection, surface finish and turnaround time. It is an interactive quote, so costs will update in real time to reflect your changes.Manufacturability analysis highlighting potential design issues that could affect the manufacturability of your parts.
Learn more about our interactive quotes by reading this design tip