Where to buy miniature DC air compressor?

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
I'm working on a little project that requires compressing air in a pipe to around 2 bars. I'm struggling to find shops online that sell miniature air compressors. It might just be me and the way I'm searching for one! I've tried RS and Farnell.

Something around 12V DC would be great so it can be powered from a battery. I guess I'm looking for a compressor similar to what you would find in an electronic car tyre compressor, but just the compressor component. My embedded circuit board will then control the pump with some kind of relay or other control mechanism.

Summary:
  • 12v DC (or less)
  • Greater than 1L per minute
  • 2 bars (give or take)

Thank you.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Try an Auto Wrecker for a underhood miniature 12v compressor used for rear suspension equalization, no idea what the capacity is, you could always add maybe a reservoir tank .
Also Mains powered air brush compressors are abound.
Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Any auto parts store or walmart will have one. It might be part of a kit for roadside emergency repairs with a wrench set, flashing light and first aid kit.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
Thanks for contributing to my post.
bertus, unfortunately I'm after the "pump/compressor" as a standalone component. i.e. without the housing, pressure gauge etc. Thanks for the contribution though.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
You might be on the right track to consider a car compressor. Maybe a compressor pump packaged like this will do the trick http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/heavy-duty-air-compressor-12v-140psi-a31hu. It appears to have mounting bracket so I should be able to affix it to my housing.

All I have to do is cut off the cigarette lighter end and wire it into a relay. Likewise, I can probably change the air hose to one that will fit my pipe.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Note: These emergency roadside compressors are designed for exactly what the are sold to do - filling a tire in an emergency. Likely never used, likely used once if they are used.

They have bushings instead of bearings, the connecting rod to the piston I very short and puts a huge lateral load on the cylinder wall. The worst thing, the whole thing is made of diecast pot metal. There was no lubricant in the one we used. It lasted about 6 hours before it couldn't even blow air let alone compress air.

What and how exactly do you do you plan to use it.

Hurdy

Joined Feb 27, 2006
There's a company here that sell air compressor pumps for OEM's http://www.gd-thomas.com/.

The intent is to air test pipes between 1 - 1.5 bar to ensure there are no leaks and that it can hold the pressure for a given time period.