Where to ask about "Electricals" in this site?

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
I have doubt on House wiring but not sure which section to post into. Please Guide...
Thank You.

With Hope,
Shafty

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Not sure where you are from or what your local electrical compliance codes may be but the US National Electrical Code is maybe what you need for 120V 60Hz residential construction guidance. Free online access to the NEC® and other electrical standards | NFPA YMMV

The supply specification of electricity provided by TNEB in Tamil Nadu, India is as follows:

• Voltage: The voltage level of electricity supplied by TNEB is typically 230V for single-phase connections and 415V for three-phase connections.
  • Frequency: The frequency of the electricity supplied by TNEB is 50 Hz.
  • Power factor: The power factor of the electricity supplied by TNEB is generally maintained above 0.95 for industrial and commercial consumers, while it is around 0.85 for domestic consumers.
  • Tariff: The tariff for electricity supply is determined by TNEB and approved by the Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory Commission (TNERC). The tariff rates vary based on the category of the consumer, the amount of electricity consumed, and the time of the day.
It's important to note that the above specifications are subject to change based on the regulations and policies of TNEB and the TNERC.

Risky?

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Sorry, I have no idea what the regulatory electrical code is in India or even if they have one. Good Luck!

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Sorry, I have no idea what the regulatory electrical code is in India or even if they have one. Good Luck!
Why Just one When we have so Many
Here are the few...

1. IS 1885: Code of practice for emergency lighting
  2. IS 2185: Specification for low voltage fuses for use in domestic and similar installations
  3. IS 3031: Specification for non-reversible plug and socket outlets for household and similar purposes
  4. IS 3043: Code of practice for earthing
  5. IS 325: Specification for three-phase induction motors
  6. IS 4691: Specification for miniature circuit breakers (MCBs)
  7. IS 5571: Code of practice for protection of structures against lightning
  8. IS 5572: Code of practice for selection, installation, and maintenance of transformers
  9. IS 694: Specification for PVC insulated cables (rated voltage up to and including 1100 volts)
  10. IS 806: Code of practice for use of electrical equipment in hazardous areas
  11. IS 8828: Code of practice for use and installation of ceiling fans
  12. IS 9968: Specification for industrial type socket outlets, plugs, and connectors
  13. IS 10322: Code of practice for selection and installation of switchgear assemblies
  14. IS 10392: Specification for alternating current generators for power stations
  15. IS 10406: Specification for induction motors for general-purpose industrial applications
  16. IS 11171: Specification for fluorescent lamps, tubular, for general lighting service
  17. IS 11295: Specification for miniature circuit-breakers for overcurrent protection for household and similar installations
  18. IS 1180: Methods of measurement of liquid flow in closed conduits
  19. IS 13109: Specification for distribution transformers
  20. IS 13340: Specification for distribution cut-outs without fuse
  21. IS 13947: Low voltage switchgear and controlgear
  22. IS 1554: Specification for PVC insulated (heavy duty) electric cables for working voltages up to and including 1100 volts
  23. IS 1646: Code of practice for fire safety of buildings (general): Electrical installations
  24. IS 1951: Specification for power transformers
  25. IS 2086: Specification for copper wire rods and fine wires for electrical purposes
  26. IS 2099: Specification for power capacitors
  27. IS 2276: Specification for cleat wiring system
  28. IS 2312: Specification for electric irons
  29. IS 2351: Specification for metal-enclosed switchgear and controlgear for rated voltage above 1 kV and up to and including 36 kV
  30. IS 2419: Specification for audio, video, and similar electronic apparatus: Safety requirements
  31. IS 2502: Specification for thermocouples
  32. IS 2675: Specification for oil-immersed transformers
  33. IS 2745: Specification for indoor type, air-break, and air-insulated switchgear
  34. IS 3074: Specification for high voltage fuses
  35. IS 3637: Specification for miniature circuit-breakers for overcurrent protection for household and similar installations
  36. IS 3729: Code of practice for earthing of electrical installations
  37. IS 3844: Specification for multipurpose connectors for electrical appliances
  38. IS 3987: Specification for aluminium wire rods and fine wires for electrical purposes
  39. IS 4269: Specification for telecommunication cables
  40. IS 4689: Code of practice for maintenance of electrical switchgear
  41. IS 4718: Specification for distribution transformers

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
When you ask on this forum about domestic electricity wiring, in the first sentence STATE WHICH COUNTRY IT APPLIES TO!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The supply specification of electricity provided by TNEB in Tamil Nadu, India is as follows:

• Voltage: The voltage level of electricity supplied by TNEB is typically 230V for single-phase connections and 415V for three-phase connections.
  • Frequency: The frequency of the electricity supplied by TNEB is 50 Hz.
  • Power factor: The power factor of the electricity supplied by TNEB is generally maintained above 0.95 for industrial and commercial consumers, while it is around 0.85 for domestic consumers.
  • Tariff: The tariff for electricity supply is determined by TNEB and approved by the Tamil Nadu Electricity Regulatory Commission (TNERC). The tariff rates vary based on the category of the consumer, the amount of electricity consumed, and the time of the day.
It's important to note that the above specifications are subject to change based on the regulations and policies of TNEB and the TNERC.

Risky?
Risky how?

What is the actual question that you have about household wiring (presumably in India) or the underlying problem you are trying to solve?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Here are the few...

2. IS 2185: Specification for low voltage fuses for use in domestic and similar installations
  3. IS 3031: Specification for non-reversible plug and socket outlets for household and similar purposes
  8. IS 5572: Code of practice for selection, installation, and maintenance of transformers
  9. IS 694: Specification for PVC insulated cables (rated voltage up to and including 1100 volts)
  12. IS 9968: Specification for industrial type socket outlets, plugs, and connectors
  13. IS 10322: Code of practice for selection and installation of switchgear assemblies
  14. IS 10392: Specification for alternating current generators for power stations
  15. IS 10406: Specification for induction motors for general-purpose industrial applications
  16. IS 11171: Specification for fluorescent lamps, tubular, for general lighting service
  17. IS 11295: Specification for miniature circuit-breakers for overcurrent protection for household and similar installations
  22. IS 1554: Specification for PVC insulated (heavy duty) electric cables for working voltages up to and including 1100 volts
  23. IS 1646: Code of practice for fire safety of buildings (general): Electrical installations
  25. IS 2086: Specification for copper wire rods and fine wires for electrical purposes
  29. IS 2351: Specification for metal-enclosed switchgear and controlgear for rated voltage above 1 kV and up to and including 36 kV
  30. IS 2419: Specification for audio, video, and similar electronic apparatus: Safety requirements
  33. IS 2745: Specification for indoor type, air-break, and air-insulated switchgear
  35. IS 3637: Specification for miniature circuit-breakers for overcurrent protection for household and similar installations
  37. IS 3844: Specification for multipurpose connectors for electrical appliances
  38. IS 3987: Specification for aluminium wire rods and fine wires for electrical purposes
Again, what is your "doubt about House wiring"?

You are going about it like someone that says they have a question about cooking and just supplying a copy of a cookbook.

We are NOT mind readers. If you have a question about something, ask it.

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
I need to know why I am not able to run both AC (Air Conditioner) and LED TV (55" inches) at the same time...

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Here are the few...

With the exception of
  • IS 3043: Code of practice for earthing
  • IS 3729: Code of practice for earthing of electrical installations
  • IS 8828: Code of practice for use and installation of ceiling fans
They are all product standards not installation standards.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
If you think that is a lot, you should take a look at the complete US National Fire Protection Association's set of codes. They take up a complete good-sized shelf. And, yes, I've read and had to design to comply with that entire set of codes when I was a project engineer for a chemical refinery with a lot of Class 1 Division 1 rated production areas. Have fun! I think you may need to find a locally qualified electrician to solve your problem.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Can you expand a little bit not being able to operate both at the same time? Is it something like tripping a circuit breaker or one appliance interfering with the other?

Please explain as clearly and in as much detail as possible.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I need to know why I am not able to run both AC (Air Conditioner) and LED TV (55" inches) at the same time...
Things are very different on the other side of the world:
1) Don't most of us have one household air conditioner in the furnace room on its own circuit breaker, not a little air conditioner hanging out the window in every room?
2) Aren't our homes wired by a licensed electrician using approved wire that can safely handle the current?

I also wonder what are his problems. Does the breaker in a room blow? Do the wires smoke or catch on fire?
I suspect that the voltage regulation is so poor that the TV stops working when the AC is turned on. Photos on Facebook show each electricity pole has hundreds of added wires that are stealing electricity and overloading their grid. Today's news says that India is on the brink of a power crisis because they are running out of coal (air polluting!) to feed their 135 power generators.

All electrical and fiber-optic cables on my street are underground. I tried fiber-optic internet, TV and telephone service but I changed back to underground coaxial cable for them. I never looked at the many electrical circuit breakers in my home then I do not know if I have 12kW or 24kW service.

Shafty

Joined Apr 25, 2023
Hi All,

Good Morning...

Let me explain the complete scenario:

Before a Month or so, I got an urge to disassemble a long touched laptop to make it work if I can. I don't have any previous experience in disassembling any complete electronic device before. First I tried connecting it with the power and check. Suddenly the moment I turned on the power, the main power supply to our entire building got shut. Immediately, I called my friend (who is an electronics repairman by himself) sent two of his apprentices to fix the situation in our home. After their arrival only I have come to know that they are not only apprentices but Amateurs too. It seemed that they are completely not aware about the power plan in our area then only repair. They played with the mainbox and tried disconnecting and connecting the same with different coloured wire inside the mainbox.

Finally they admitted that the situation is above their head and advised us to refer to a senior Electrician. Here came the senior Electrician. There is no doubt he is a master in his department but the problem is he is not good at his heart. He is very greedy. He temporarily fixed the connection but asked us to prepare for a Million Rupee to fix everything properly.

Does this really require this much amount? I seriously doubt his integrity in this issue.

Should I trust him and arrange to him the amount he quoted? Please advise.

If you want I am ready take pictures of the insides of the Mainboxes we have in our Home. Thanks for supporting Me.

With Hope,
Shafty

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm going to assume that you have given up on the laptop since it shorted out your entire building's electrical panel. Hard to imagine that the laptop didn't get fried in the process.

My understanding, based on conversations with several people from India, is that this situation is not unusual at all and that having to pay what amount to bribes to get things done is pretty common. It's not even so much a question of right versus wrong, just the way things are done. So the question comes down to whether a million rupee bribe is reasonable for this kind of work. A quick check shows that this is about twelve thousand U.S. dollars, which seems awfully high to me. Is this the total cost, including any parts and labor and everything? If so, then if the building's panel is really messed up and if he is really going to fix it properly, then it may not be unreasonable. But what assurances do you have that it will actually be a good repair job?

Is he leaving the temporary fix in place? Or is he going to undo it if you don't pay the bribe?

If possible, I would recommend having a couple other people look at it. Perhaps one of them will at least ask for a much lower bribe.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Here came the senior Electrician. There is no doubt he is a master in his department but the problem is he is not good at his heart. He is very greedy. He temporarily fixed the connection but asked us to prepare for a Million Rupee to fix everything properly.
Does this really require this much amount? I seriously doubt his integrity in this issue.
Wasn't this guy by any chance?

1683516354356.png