Where is the problematic heat in a DC step up converter?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Do you have a part number for the switcher IC? Its application note may have a description of this circuit, allowing you to make an estimate. Or you could hook it up and lay a finger on it. :eek:

seanspotatobusiness

Joined Sep 17, 2016
Do you have a part number for the switcher IC? Its application note may have a description of this circuit, allowing you to make an estimate. Or you could hook it up and lay a finger on it. :eek:
Thanks. Can I infer from your response that the IC is the component that usually need thermal protection? The component is the MT3608 but I don't see anything in the datasheet that helps. It will be a while before I receive the circuit module.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
No. You need to understand the circuit to estimate where the inefficiency and thus heat will appear. The data sheet for the IC is an aid to getting that understanding.

Marley

Joined Apr 4, 2016
Without a circuit diagram and some facts and figures it is hard to tell. But in my experience of these small converters most of the heat is generated in the inductor. Probably due to the high operating frequency and cheap materials. I have had some where even though operating within spec you could burn your finger on the inductor.
For buck step-down converters the lossy component is usually the parallel switching diode (unless it's a synchronous device). You can tell by looking at the efficiency spec.