Where in the world can i find this capacitor?

rocco1005

Joined Sep 11, 2019
I am needing to locate this same capacitor because i blew up the other one while moddifying something for my kid. I have no idea what i am looking at here or where to get a replacement.

Also is it possible to solder in bigger capacitors onto something to allow them to not blow next time? Basically i added more voltage to something via an additional 12v battery and it immediately blew that small capacitor. Thanks for any help.
cap1.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

rocco1005

Joined Sep 11, 2019
thanks for your help. Last question, if i put this same capacitor back on the board it came from is there anything i can tie into the wiring of this mod i am doing to allow the capacitors to not blow again but still be able to provide power to the board/device?

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
No one reading this thread has any idea what this cap came from or what mod your trying to do to it. How could we possibly answer your question? You will need to post a lot more information.

Other then that, All I can say is for the replacement you can try a higher voltage rating but you will most likely just end up blowing something else considering your applying more voltage then what the circuit is designed to handle..

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
thanks for your help. Last question, if i put this same capacitor back on the board it came from is there anything i can tie into the wiring of this mod i am doing to allow the capacitors to not blow again but still be able to provide power to the board/device?
We do not know what you are trying to do, and your notion of the purpose and function of a capacitor is quaint. When you make a modification to something it really helps to know what you are doing. You should find a replacement capacitor that has a voltage rating with about 50% headroom. For example, if it was me, and I was doubling the power supply voltage from 12V to 24V, I would be looking for a 36V or even 50V part. Why? Capacitors usually sustain considerable stress when the power supply voltage is first applied. As the capacitors charge up to their working voltage the stress is reduced.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Perhaps to be on the safe side it should be mentioned that this is a polarized capacitor and if installed backwards it is likely to fail, often exploding. When replacing it observe polarity. The stripe on the side indicates the negative lead.

You can buy capacitors like this from most electronic parts distributors such as Mouser, Digikey,and Arrow Electronics to name only a few. Those distributors will have catalogs and datasheets online so you can find a capacitor that is small enough to fit on the board from which it came.

digikey.com
mouser.com
arrow.com

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
For the same value capacitance (220uF??), a capacitor rated for a higher voltage than the original one will almost certainly be a bigger physical size, so you may have to mount the replacement differently on the pcb.