Where does my tankless hot water heater get its power?

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
The guide lists service of "a pump" I will bet it is not a pump at all rather a little hydro generator.
I agree. So if you turn the water off I would think the led would light up for a short period while the pipe has sufficient pressure to turn the turbine, then it would go off.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If this is true then it is good news. Means I won't loose hot water during a power failure. Which would be really bad news in the middle of a shower during winter. ;)

You really need to watch when taking a shower. If you reduce the hot water flow too much, it will shut down the heater. You will get what is called a "cold water sandwich". And you don't need to reduce for long, seconds will do.

I still don't get the savings part. I listed costs of ownership earlier in the thread. But it does have some nice features, namely size and the fact there is no tank to burst. My basement is finished and I sure would not want water all over the floor. :(

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm actually glad with all this talk about "Tankless Water Heater" I'm interested in installing one.

I've been debating it for at least 2 years. Let us know how you like it.

kv

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Great idea if you ask me. Saves money in running power to the heater.
It comes at a cost - water pressure. There must be some finite loss of pressure across the generator, and this ultimately ends up as a lower pressure to the faucets. It's probably minor, but it's there.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Great idea if you ask me. Saves money in running power to the heater.
The benefit is not the cost of power (which will essentially be a rounding error on your electric bill).

The real benefit is not having to run a GFI dedicated circuit to the water heater. That means, if you want to do everything by the book, no electrician has to be involved, no code inspection, no ...

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
The benefit is not the cost of power (which will essentially be a rounding error on your electric bill).

The real benefit is not having to run a GFI dedicated circuit to the water heater. That means, if you want to do everything by the book, no electrician has to be involved, no code inspection, no ...
Yep, that's what I meant to say :). I just have never thought of a hot water unit having a turbin to make its own power for control. My unit here at home has 240V going to it (it is gas fired) so I guess not every manufacture is thinking like Bosch.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

But a service person needs to be involved for any work needing tech support. Bosch will only provide tech support to certified service personal, This is their policy for gas units.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
But a service person needs to be involved for any work needing tech support. Bosch will only provide tech support to certified service personal, This is their policy for gas units.
A lot of companies do that. At least with flammable fuel, there is a better reason than just profits.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
My son worked for a while on the fracking well heads. They pull some gas right off the head, separate the water and gunk, and power a one pilot flame thermo-generator. This powered all the automation of sensors, valves and wireless telemetry.

No power was brought in.

Could a pilot be powering your system?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I'm actually glad with all this talk about "Tankless Water Heater" I'm interested in installing one.

I've been debating it for at least 2 years. Let us know how you like it.

kv
+1
My 12? years old water heater (old style, with a tank, uses gas to heat up water) is on the fritz, have to relight it almost every day. So I am looking at replacing it sometime soon.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
+1
My 12? years old water heater (old style, with a tank, uses gas to heat up water) is on the fritz, have to relight it almost every day. So I am looking at replacing it sometime soon.
That should be fixable. On mine, it was as simple as putting a paper clip on the air intake damper. That tiny bit of weight changed it enough to keep the pilot from blowing out. But there can be other causes.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That should be fixable. On mine, it was as simple as putting a paper clip on the air intake damper. That tiny bit of weight changed it enough to keep the pilot from blowing out. But there can be other causes.

Who are you? Macgyver? ;)