Where did the Alerts go?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

I had trouble with the Alerts in the past where multiple replies had been made in a thread which i had participated in and still did not get an alert for that thread, but now today i see i cant find the Alerts at all :)

So the question is, where did the Alerts go?

Thanks.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
I have an area at the upper right of the page that has "watch thread" in it. For some reason, at least on my smartphone, any thread I reply on automatically defaults to a watched thread.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Did you get an alert for this post?
Hi,

No, no alert and the "alerts" thing isnt even there anymore.

Also, no "watched" threads and no "watched" forums, even though i started this thread.
I added this thread manually with the "watch thread" button, so lets see what happens next. No automatic watching though.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You might want to check your alert preferences.

Go to Your Account
Under Settings, Personal Details, Prefereces and see whether the checked boxes are in agreement with your preferences.

upload_2016-10-19_12-18-56.png

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Ok i'll check that, but it is clear that the site software has changed again.

I see what happened now.
Either the software had changed to make the minimum size width of a window to about 800 pixels, or maybe i made my default window less than 800.
In any case, if i make my window width say 700 pixels, i WILL NOT be able to see the log in icon nor the alert icon so i'll never see any alerts.
So for some reason the min size of a window to view that info has to be around 800 pixels. Any less and it does not work because the user cant see that end of the "Articles, Forum, Education, More, IOT, Part Search, Giveaways, PERSONAL ICON"
bar. That's the bar across the screen at the top.

That bar should really 'wrap' to the next 'line' like most windows controls do. For example there is a 'bar' in windows that you can use in a similar manner by just programming the stuff you want inside that bar, and if the user makes the window width smaller the bar wraps to the next 'bar' line, which because it is thicker it is more than one text line in height. But it does not lock the user out of being able to access that end of the bar, as it pushes everything down to make room for that end of the bar on the next bar line. So for example say we had a bar like this:
MyStuff NewStuff OldStuff

and the user made the width smaller so that OldStuff could not be seen, windows would wrap that into:
Mystuff Newstuff
OldStuff

it would NOT lock out OldStuff and just display:
MyStuff NewStuff

which is what this site software is doing.

There may be other solutions too though, such as displaying "..." and letting the user scroll to the right or left to access the hidden information.

Windows TOOLBARS allow the user to drag the toolbar to the next line if desired. That way the user controls the placement of the bars. They can also swap bar sections such as in the above, then can drag MyStuff to NewStuff and then the bar will change into:
NewStuff Mystuff OldStuff

for example. That's actually using a control called "Rebar".

So there are a lot of way to handle that situation that work decently rather than simply hiding the information.

Here is a graphical example where the user had dragged two parts of the top bar down one bar line. The first pic on the top is BEFORE and the second pic on the bottom is AFTER.

Attachments

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
When I get an alert, my name in the upper right changes color and displays a number of alerts. I click on my name and on the subsequent page, click on alerts. Voila! It has worked this way for some time. Alerts are not on the main page, but one level down and indicated on the main page. iOS iPhone 6 is my platform.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
When I get an alert, my name in the upper right changes color and displays a number of alerts. I click on my name and on the subsequent page, click on alerts. Voila! It has worked this way for some time. Alerts are not on the main page, but one level down and indicated on the main page. iOS iPhone 6 is my platform.
Hi,

Yes, i am using Firefox, maybe that is what is doing it?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Yes thanks, mine do too if i set the window width right, but tell me, what happens if you set the window width to say 500 pixels or thereabouts?
That's where the problem showed up earlier.