where can i get 'magnet wire'?

CaliusOptimus

Joined Aug 14, 2005
other than radioshack:p

ive searched digikey, jameco, elec. goldmine and a few others, i cant find it anywhere. does it go by a different name or something?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Radioshack has magnet wire for sale on their website. You did not mention what gauge magnet wire you are looking for so I am not sure it radioshack will have the gauge you are seeking.

Actually, magnet wire is just solid conductor wire with a thin insulating coating on it. The coating is often enamel or lacquer.

hgmjr

CaliusOptimus

Joined Aug 14, 2005
yeah, ive got the wire from radioshack, i think it's 22, 26 and 30 guage. im looking for a larger guage (14-18) to make an electro magnet with just for fun :) ebay seems to have a good selection. but man, i wish copper grew on trees (silver too, for that matter) it's so durn expensive.

btw, how do you stip the stuff? ive just been melting it off with my soldering iron.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Another method for removing the coating that I have seen used with success is to use a small square of wet & dry fine grit sandpaper.

hgmjr

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Fine grit? That's what they make Xacto knives for! Scrape it off. Burning it off with a flame works for larger guages, but does funny things to the annealing of the copper.