Where can I get an isolation transformer?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The commercial name I remember is Topaz as used quite a few starting at 5 KVA flavors. If your power requirement is light you may be able to just use a pair of step down transformers wired back to back. I have no clue if Topaz still exist but names like Hammond also come to mind.

Ron

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Just trying to understand.
You have 20 of these devices (which I assume is not solely for your use) and no-one else who uses it will electrocute himself by plugging it directly into the wall(?).
While shocking one self is not impossible, wouldn't the very nature of an isolation transformer minimize the possibility of accidental self excitation?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
While shocking one self is not impossible, wouldn't the very nature of an isolation transformer minimize the possibility of accidental self excitation?
You missed my original comment.
I was concerned about using a isolation transformer that had a standard main's socket output, which means the device would have a standard plug, allowing it to be plugged in without the transformer.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Just trying to understand.
You have 20 of these devices (which I assume is not solely for your use) and no-one else who uses it will electrocute himself by plugging it directly into the wall(?).
Isolation is not only ever used for safety reasons. Eliminating ground loops from audio applications comes to mind. My application is similar but instead of a guitar or a microphone it's a load cell amplifier. When I connect the amplifier's comms bus to a companion device its weight display goes haywire. Isolating that companion device eliminates this issue.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Is there option to isolate the signal (such as with a optocoupler) rather than the power?
Absolutely, and it's a more elegant solution and assuredly cheaper. But I don't have time to implement it. The devices are already built and shipped and I have a technician flying out today to go install the devices at several locations. The transformers have already been delivered onsite. All he has to do is plug in the transformer and plug the device into it. Convenience and speed beat out elegance in this situation.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Absolutely, and it's a more elegant solution and assuredly cheaper. But I don't have time to implement it. The devices are already built and shipped and I have a technician flying out today to go install the devices at several locations. The transformers have already been delivered onsite. All he has to do is plug in the transformer and plug the device into it. Convenience and speed beat out elegance in this situation.
Okay.
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about your problem.
I see now why you are using that particular solution.