Where can I buy a mini USB port online?

andynov123

Joined Dec 12, 2011
The mini USB port on my external HDD lost one of its pins there were 5 pins before one broke off and I do not believe it is micro

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
They are not all identical.

Do you have the drive opened up so that you can see the connector?

Are there any letters or numbers on the body of the connector?

Can you take a photo of it?

[eta]

Go on www.digikey.com
Search for: mini USB connector
On the results page, under "Connectors, Interconnects", click on "USB, IEEE-1394 (Firewire), DVI, HDMI (155 items)"
Under "Number of Contacts", click "5", then the "Apply filters" button.
That narrows it down to 6 pages worth.

There are three types of the mini USB connectors; A, B, and AB. They are shaped slightly differently. Note that in the following image examples, only the shape of the opening is important:

[eta]
Selecting "USB - Mini B" narrows it down to 5 pages.
Then it's down to matching the existing mounting. You will have to open up the drive in order to find out what you need.

Attachments

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yours is a Mini-USB type B.
[eta]
I had edited my prior reply to include the information on Digikey and the images of the port types; I didn't realize there were more replies at that point.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I'd pop open the case and take a good look at it then head over to digikey or newark or mouser and just start looking through the datasheets till you find the exact one.. All the manufacturers might have slight differences in where the shield pins are ,etc..

andynov123

Joined Dec 12, 2011
I called the hdd manufacturer Western Digital and they told me it was mini usb type b now where can I purchase one online in USA?