Where can droop controller be applied?

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Mountain_cat, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mountain_cat

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 11, 2016
    my homework question asks,

Consider three types of distributed generation resources: PV, micro-turbine, and energy storage. Which ones can be controlled by droop strategy? Why?

I thought all of them could be droop controlled since all droop does is synchronize the inverters to the grid. Any help here would be appreciated

2. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    Droop is when demand is greater than the supply. When droop occurs, you need an instant supply to boost the available supply. Which one of your choices can be accessed immediately?

3. Mountain_cat

Jul 11, 2016
    So that would mean that only the PV can't be used with droop, since others can provide Instant supply of power?

4. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Do you know, it's quite cloudy here today.

5. Mountain_cat

Jul 11, 2016
    What does that have to do with anything?

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I think he's trying to point out that PV isn't always available -- probably responded before seeing your later post where you showed you recognized this.

Is "energy storage" always instantly available (instant enough to be of use)? Wouldn't that depend on the nature of the storage?

7. Mountain_cat

Jul 11, 2016
    Okay, I guess I misunderstood Alberthall there.

And since this assignment is about microgrids, I guess the energy storage component mentioned is probably ones that are used for that purpose.

Thanks for clearing this up