When to choose CCM and When to choose DCM and when to choose BCM

When it comes to Power Electronics, this is what comes to my mind:

DCM: Discontinuous-conduction mode
CCM: Continuous-conduction mode
BCM: Boundary conduction mode

The selection of one over the other will depend on the application.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Those terms apply to any type of switchmode converter that uses an inductor (as distinct from charge pumps).

This is apparently another homework question, and the answers are rather complex and depend on the topology.

One hint: right half plane zero

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
Sorry for inconvenience cause to you people.

I was talking about power electronics.
Post #5 ...explained it's depend upon application. So what kind of application.

Thanks .

I'm not familiar with BCM, but in low power electronics, let's say a buck regulator, it switches between DCM (discontinuous conduction mode) and CCM (continuous conduction mode) based on the amount of load.

At light load, buck regulator will get into DCM mode because the regulator doesn't need to work hard (switch fast) in order to keep the voltage within spec and the inductor current will hit 0A during the discharging period before the Toff time is completed.

At a higher load, buck regulator will get into a CCM mode as it switches faster in order to keep the voltage regulation within spec.

The switching between CCM and DCM comes automatically as the load changes.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Like many of the other members, my mind reading skills are very poor, and thus when there is a question I need a more detailed explanation of what is actually needed, or wanted. I seldom follow links, after a few bad experiences.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The question was not as challenging as the ones I used to get, years back, of "What sort of computer should I buy?" amazingly, the answer always included the question "what do you intend to do with it?"
A power supply running a data acquisition system with a fairly constant load will have different requirements from a supply powering a gaming computer or a sound system or a radio transmitter.And a supply for a home automation system will be much different from one powering the machine tools in a workshop. And if any of the applications require running off of battery power, suddenly total power efficiency becomes far more critical.
Each different application has it's own set of requirements, at least in the real world. In the theoretical realm, where cost and size don't matter, it is different. Powering the life support system in a spacecraft is far different from powering my music system at home, as an example.