Whats wrong with this picture?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I recently had cause to buy a new printer, I don't need anything exotic, a local search turned up hi end makes, HP, Epson, Canon etc.
Quite a few models all bellow $30.00.
The replacement cartridges often are double this!
Talk about encouraging a throw away society!
Just buy a NEW printer every time the ink runs out!
Max.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
Look closely at the ink cartridge supplied. Most of them supplied with printers are now very low capacity compared with the replacement cartridges.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I have found the same outcome as 'ebp' , low ink capacity cartridges supplied with the printer unit.
I also buy refilled cartridges at a much lower price and they work OK.

BTW: batteries installed in off the shelf equipment, also have a short working life.

E

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It is known as the razor and blades model (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_model ). Don't know if Gillette invented it, but Gillette is often given credit. It is certainly not a new business model. An interesting and related read is The Hucksters ( https://www.ebay.com/p/The-Hucksters-by-Frederic-Wakeman-1946-Hardback/173279080 ), which is one of the very first books I ever read. One example in that book is the need to add a fresh egg to prepared cake mixes. Think about it, why wouldn't dehydrated eggs work as well?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I stopped buying inkjet printers and cartridges a long time ago.
I now have two Samsung laser printers, one colour and the other black.
When the toner runs out I refill the cartridges with toner from ebay. Simple, cheap, and easy to do.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I stopped buying inkjet printers and cartridges a long time ago.
Same here. I bought a Lexmark BW laser printer to do toner transfer and BW printing. Then I finally got fed up with clogged inkjet nozzles on the color printer, so I bought a used Xerox Phaser 6250DP about 10 years ago.

I refill the toner cartridge for the Lexmark, but I buy refills for the color printer. It's old enough that the 5000 sheet replacement cartridges are running $10-20 dollars shipped on eBay.