What's wrong with MPLAB?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Before I register on the microchip forum I'll ask here. I installed MPLAB 8.83 on a XP PC. Trying to assemble any asm source code using MPASM v.5.43 gives me the following error:

I finally used the sample programs that come with MPLAB. Same thing. What could be wrong?

I used the sw without any problems on other computers.

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Re-run the setup and pick "Repair"

Install it in the default directory, not a custom one, since all the add ons and other compilers look for MPLAB in the default directory

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Re-run the setup and pick "Repair"

Install it in the default directory, not a custom one, since all the add ons and other compilers look for MPLAB in the default directory
Did it. Doesn't work.

Go straight to their site and open a ticket.
That's what I'll need to do...

It's the XP service pack problem....

some freakin update or something windows is causing it..believe me.
I'm sure that's the problem but have no idea where to look.

Thanks all.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'm running MPLAB v8.83 under XP without any issues.

Here's something to try: Open your project in MPLAB and look at your tool locations.

On the menu hit Project | Set Language Tool Locations... and expand the Microchip MPLAB Toolsuite and then the Executable area. Use the Browse... button for each of the assembler, librarian, and linker program to insure you are truly pointing at the proper programs.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I'm running MPLAB v8.83 under XP without any issues.

Here's something to try: Open your project in MPLAB and look at your tool locations.

On the menu hit Project | Set Language Tool Locations... and expand the Microchip MPLAB Toolsuite and then the Executable area. Use the Browse... button for each of the assembler, librarian, and linker program to insure you are truly pointing at the proper programs.
Yes that seems to be ok. I have MPLAB running on other computers too.

Now after reinstalling I have an additional error message (comes first).

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I just loaded it clean on a notebook I reloaded windows on last weekend, no errors compiling samples.

In your error msessage, is it cutting off "Program" from "Files\MPASM"?

If so, search registry for *Files\MPASM* to see what entry that is linked to. It should be looking for "Program Files\Microchip\MPASM" rather than the mess posted above.

Hit Windows Key +R (Or go to Run from start menu)
Type in cmd

Type
echo %ProgramFiles%
It should respond with
C:\Program Files

Same for echo %MCC_INCLUDE% If you have C18 installed
MCC_INCLUDE=C:\MCC18\h;C:\MCC18\h;C:\MCC18\h;

Or you can just type 'set' (without the quotes) to see what all the environment variables are when it spawns a shell.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Re-install the freakin Windows
I haven't had to do that. Only for upgrades. I have files from 1993 on this system, started out with Win95, upgraded to Win98, then XP Pro.

With proper maintenance and regular registry cleaning/cruft removal, it works smooth. I've got too many programs on here that are no longer available to give them up now! :eek:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
praondevou: I doubt it is a windows issue, if it were the Microchip Forums would be ablaze with reports. I don't see any there.

One thing to try: hopefully you have your entire project and workspace under one folder. If you zip that up I can try to build it here on my MPLAB under XP and see if I can repeat your issue. If I can, maybe I can see something to fix it.

This doesn't necessarily have to be your main project, just anything that demonstrated the same symptoms. A new project to just build the template file will do nicely.

Also, another thought is to try starting off a new project from the wizard and see if that builds correctly. I've had the workspace or projects file get corrupted and had to toss them and start over (not the code, just the project/workspace files).

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Re-install the freakin Windows
That's something I REALLY would avoid. I only have the OEM version and then did ALL the updates up to SP3. Not to mention all the software.

Anyway. In this case it probably wasn't the "freakin Windows" but the "freakin" user, me in this case.

MPASMWIN can apparently not process source files that are in a folder containing spaces in its name. Very easy!

I confirmed this on one computer and will do it in the evening on the one with the problem.

I never ran into this problem before.

EDIT: Yes, that was the problem. :-D

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
praondevou: Congratulations for sticking with it till you beat it down, and thanks for posting the solution. Personally I have been caught by that so many times I swear compiler developers have some perverse love for DOS file names it is all I ever use.

That means no spaces in folder or file names, names always in eight dot three (xxxxxxxx.xxx) format.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
That means no spaces in folder or file names, names always in eight dot three (xxxxxxxx.xxx) format.
I did a quick test with 50 :eek: characters in the filename. It still works... No idea what the limit is, most important is that I can work now. :) I hate when things like this steal my time.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Geez, I wish I could have told you that earlier. Just from habit and past experience I never use spaces in file or folder names in my programming projects. And I keep it down to 8 letters too. You never know when this will come back and get you.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I never use spaces in filenames. Just a habit from *nix and database field names.

I don't like how when Microsoft first allowed spaces in filenames, they immediately changed the OS to USE Them. Program Files Application Data Common Files (which of the previous are folder names if you haven't worked with windows before?)